What is ARM cpu?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

what is ARM cpu?

I know that windows RT (8) was for ARM and now only windows 10 mobile is for ARM
1.ARM is good cpu architecture In relation to x86-64?
2. is x86-64 the architecture that run a full windows?
3.can I install a full windows on ARM (windows RT)?
4.what is the Future?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: what is ARM cpu?

I know that windows RT (8) was for ARM and now only windows 10 mobile is for ARM
1.ARM is good cpu architecture In relation to x86-64?
2. is x86-64 the architecture that run a full windows?
3.can I install a full windows on ARM (windows RT)?
4.what is the Future?

ARM is an architecture that is the go-to for mobile devices, dating back to the Palm PDAs and Windows CE devices of the 90's.

1. They aren't really on the same level. x86-64 has that program compatibility and originally focused on raw horsepower which is my understanding, ARM was more based around efficiency, low heat and small devices and for the most part they didn't really overlap. x86 in PCs, ARM in phones, ARM in the big-phone tablets, x86 in small-PC tablets.

2. Yes.

3. Nope. Think of the issue as a language barrier.

4. They'll coexist for now.
x86 is not going to be overthrown in PC's for a very long time because of program compatibility.
Tablets are where the lines are being pushed. Intel/x86 is making a strong foray into mobile - fanless x86 Android and Windows tablets exist and there's talk of x86 phones like a rumored "Surface Phone."

reuven Hershkovitz

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site

1.so ARM Parallel to x86-64?
2.there is more CPU architectures that windows can run on it?
3.ARM is small but it can't run win32 and what more?
4.the surface phone will run win32 app?
5.so ARM isn't a PC only x86-64?
6.So why not to unite ARM & x86-64?
a CPU architecture that was small and don't heats and was powerful and can run any app or OS.
that CPU architecture Will be better in PC?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

1.so ARM Parallel to x86-64?
2.there is more CPU architectures that windows can run on it?
3.ARM is small but it can't run win32 and what more?
4.the surface phone will run win32 app?
5.so ARM isn't a PC only x86-64?
6.So why not to unite ARM & x86-64?
a CPU architecture that was small and don't heats and was powerful and can run any app or OS.
that CPU architecture Will be better in PC?

1. well I'm not sure what you mean by that.

2. there are indeed other architectures like I think PowerPC, IA64 (aka Intel Itanium) but none are huge players in the consumer PC and mobile space.

3. It can't run x86-64 applications that haven't been recompiled for it.

4. If it existed and isn't just a pipe dream, it theoretically could, especially with Continuum.

5. well, ARM devices might qualify, but when I say PC I basically mean laptops and desktops.

6. it's a LOT more complicated than just mashing them together in a Foreman grill.

Intel has made significant strides in efficiency and heat output with their recent generation Atom chips, which largely mitigated what I believed to be the reason for the Surface RT's existence. (ser battery life of original Surface Pro)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes