November Update breaks switching between integrated and dedicated GPU - MSI Laptop. What can I do?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

November Update breaks switching between integrated and dedicated GPU - MSI Laptop

I have the MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro, for reference.

So I installed the November Update yesterday and I looked through the few new features it came with. Later on I tried playing Fallout 4, but for some reason it was lagging like hell (Usually I play it at a smooth 60 FPS). I then noticed the power indicator LED was blue (which means it isn't using the Nvidia GPU but the integrated Intel one), I assumed it was a bug and I restarted the system.

So after multiple restarts, after clean installing the latest Nvidia drivers multiple times, checking any game settings and trying out a few other games as well (Thief, Metro Last Light), none of them worked at a playable framerate. I then decided to use the "Revert to previous build" setting under Recovery (I think) and after 5 minutes it reverted back to pre-update and everything works perfectly fine now without me needing to touch any settings or drivers.

Did anyone else experience something similar?

Is there a way of making sure that my system does not upgrade to that build automatically? (I have Win 10 Home because it came with this laptop)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: November Update breaks switching between integrated and dedicated GPU - MSI Laptop

It sounds like MSI may need to release some updated drivers. I'm not sure what caused the break, but it seems as though every time there is a major OS update, things like this start to happen. Crossfire setups get messed up, integrated/dedicated confusion, and I've even seen generic drivers installed for the display which causes EVERYTHING to be painfully slow.

Watch the MSI website, or contact their support, and see if new drivers are forthcoming. Look for new drivers from NVidia. Whatever it takes. However, also... It is possible you may just have to disable the Windows Updates to prevent this until it can get sorted out. I wish I had a workaround for you right now, but I'm afraid I don't at this point. Perhaps someone else will?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: November Update breaks switching between integrated and dedicated GPU - MSI Laptop

Are you able to switch GPUs manually with optimus?

I'm aware manual switching has been done away with latest version of Catalyst, however I'm not sure if that also applies to Nvidia's optimus. As I don't have a Nvidia GPU.

You can use the troubleshooter tool to hide updates, however it is not a permanent fix. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

VanixLH

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site

I didn't realize I was logged out when I made this post, sorry about that and for the delayed reply.

It sounds like MSI may need to release some updated drivers. I'm not sure what caused the break, but it seems as though every time there is a major OS update, things like this start to happen. Crossfire setups get messed up, integrated/dedicated confusion, and I've even seen generic drivers installed for the display which causes EVERYTHING to be painfully slow.

Watch the MSI website, or contact their support, and see if new drivers are forthcoming. Look for new drivers from NVidia. Whatever it takes. However, also... It is possible you may just have to disable the Windows Updates to prevent this until it can get sorted out. I wish I had a workaround for you right now, but I'm afraid I don't at this point. Perhaps someone else will?

I was thinking it might just be MSI, I should probably make them aware of this if they aren't already.

I don't mind not having the upgrade, it doesn't add much and Windows works fine for now. I just hope it won't force-upgrade, and if it does I hope I will be able to roll back like I did.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon so I can actually upgrade. Just for the sake of having an up-to-date version of Win 10 if nothing else. I do like the coloured title bars though :p

Are you able to switch GPUs manually with optimus?
I'm aware manual switching has been done away with latest version of Catalyst, however I'm not sure if that also applies to Nvidia's optimus. As I don't have a Nvidia GPU.

You can use the troubleshooter tool to hide updates, however it is not a permanent fix. <snip>

Nope, I tried forcing both the whole OS and specific games to use the Nvidia GPU through the Nvidia Control Panel, that didn't work.

And thanks for that link, but since this is a major upgrade I don't think it works in the same way as it usually does.

Also I just realized, even if I check for updates it says my PC is up to date, even though I definitely am not using the November update as there are no Messaging or Skype Video apps and no option for the coloured title bars. Weird.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Nope, I tried forcing both the whole OS and specific games to use the Nvidia GPU through the Nvidia Control Panel, that didn't work.

And thanks for that link, but since this is a major upgrade I don't think it works in the same way as it usually does.

Also I just realized, even if I check for updates it says my PC is up to date, even though I definitely am not using the November update as there are no Messaging or Skype Video apps and no option for the coloured title bars. Weird.

1) I have the same issue with catalyst, I have to add the Games under 3d applications settings and under power I have to manually add the .exe + switch them to high performance.

Just want to double check with you:

Does the right click context menu work? (image source: How do I customize Optimus profiles and settings? )

aid_2615_2.jpg

And that you have changed the power management mode from adaptive to high performance?

kb2441.jpg

And tried:

1. Select Manage 3D Settings
  2. Under the Global Settings tab, select High-performance NVIDIA processor

And Manually added the games to the Nvidia control panel:

1. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel.
  2. Select Manage 3D Settings.
  3. Select Program Settings tab.
  4. Click Add.
  5. Browse to and select the application executable file that needs the new profile.

2) Ctrl+X -> Run -> WinVer -> it should display this {if you have home it will say Windows 10 Home):
WinVer.PNG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes