E7250 starts acting like the cap lock key is on - but it isn't and I can't get it to stop. How can I make it stop?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

E7250 starts acting like the cap lock key is on - but it isn't and I can't get it to stop.

occassionally, my E7250 starts acting like the cap lock key is on - but it isn't and I can't get it to stop. It highlights paragraphs instead of letting me place the cursor. It executes only the capital symbols. Why does this happen? How to make it stop without a reboot?

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: E7250 starts acting like the cap lock key is on - but it isn't and I can't get it to stop.

What the hell is a E7250 ? If you never use caps lock, there are ways to disable the key I am sure, use Bing or Google.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Your Dell Latitude Ultrabook E7250 is likely experiencing a hardware fault with a shift key.

If it is highlighting sections instead of cursor movement, then it isn't the caps-lock key being on. It's a stuck shift key. If "sticky keys" has been turned on (it keeps the shift key pressed until you press it again), then you'll need to go to ease of access center to turn it off. You can accidentally turn it on by pressing the shift key 5 times in a row.

If it isn't sticky keys, then maybe your keys are sticky. They could just be getting stuck in their mechanism from being either old or possibly some sort of liquid or food spill into the keys. There are so many things that can cause a shift key getting stuck I can't name them all.

Sometimes tapping each shift key several times will cause it to "unstick", but that depends on the cause of the problem. You may need a new keyboard. This would mean a trip to a repair shop or shipping back to Dell for replacement.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon