Why has Whatsapp failed to load favorites contacts?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Whatsapp fail to load "favorites" contact

Hi,
Recently I had to move back to my Android phone for a week. But when I tried to restore my Whatsapp to the 950XL, it just cannot load my contacts. Every time I reinstall and verify the account it gives "fail to load favorites contact". When I move back to Android for testing, it works fine!

But on the 950XL, no matter what I do, reinstalling whatsapp , updated to .63, and even reset the device still the same. FYI, i never had this problem before the temp move back to my Moto G. It was fine on my 950XL!

What gives?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Whatsapp fail to load "favorites" contact

Hi,
Recently I had to move back to my Android phone for a week. But when I tried to restore my Whatsapp to the 950XL, it just cannot load my contacts. Every time I reinstall and verify the account it gives "fail to load favorites contact". When I move back to Android for testing, it works fine!

But on the 950XL, no matter what I do, reinstalling whatsapp , updated to .63, and even reset the device still the same. FYI, i never had this problem before the temp move back to my Moto G. It was fine on my 950XL!

What gives?

when installing whatsapp, do you follow through the starting procedures such as verification sms and name etc?
Also, is whatsapp allowed to access your contacts list in settings > privacy?

div3rsion

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Re: Whatsapp fail to load "favorites" contact

I have the same problem.

Last saturday I had to do a hard reset on my 640, with 586.63.
After installing Whatsapp I have exactly the same problem.

Before the hard reset no problem whatsoever. Whatsapp had been on there ever since updating from 8.1 with no problems.

Now I can only use it with chats restore from backup. According to Whatsapp none of my contacts have whatsapp anymore.

Mark You1

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
me too. Lumia 950xl.
first install was ok. i had to switch to use another phone for a while. once i come back to lumia, whatsapp unable to load favorites anymore. reset, reinstall, hard reset do not solve the prob n i m stuck now.

Mark You1

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey, i found the solution.
there is a prob with contacts in your microsoft account.
(to test out, hard reset your phone, use local account and install whatsapp, you will be able to see contacts in favorites)

What I did was.. delete all contacts in microsoft account (as i dont know which contact has a prob), then you will see your gmail contacts (in my case, its exchange contacts) in whatsapp as favorites.

div3rsion

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Could not get your solution to work.
So reverted back to 8.1, installed whatsapp and upgraded again to .71
My contacts are now in favorites, but everyone is still empty.
Can live with that, as long as w10m is not final yet.

calinetz

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
Mark You1: thanks, man! :) I just switched from Android to WP and I was extremely disappointed when I could not have the contacts on WhatsApp... I did just that: deleted everything from People and synced only the ones from Google (which, in fact, were all of them). After the synchronization was completed all the contacts were in their right place. :)

Later edit: actually this solution solved also my Skype problem... when Skype was starting and loading the contacts, it crashed. Now everything work ok. Most probably the issue was with linking the contacts from Microsoft with the ones from Google, now that I have a single source of contacts remaining both (Whatsapp and Skype) work ok.

Last edited:

div3rsion

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Received update this morning for the people app.
After update removed all contacts and imported them again in outlook.com.
All contacts were immediately available in the people app and also in favorites and everyone in whatsapp.

I've no gmail account setup on my windows phone.
So looks like this update corrected our whatsapp contact problem

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar