Why won't my laptop upgrade to 1511?

garryknight

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Windows Home upgrade 1511 has been available for quite some time now but when I try to upgrade, it always fails saying that it couldn't complete, and then rolls back on reboot. Until now, I haven't had time to do anything about it but I'm starting to worry about security. So I ran a system file check as detailed on this page:
System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & - Microsoft Community

The first time it ran, it found a problem, so I ran it again. And again. And each time I run it, it says, "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again."

So I run it again, and get exactly the same message. I then ran DISM as detailed on the same page. I ran this command first:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
and it said that there were no problems. To be sure, I ran this:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
and got the message that there was a problem that couldn't be fixed. So I ran sfc /scannow and got exactly the same message as before. And that's where I'm at right now.

I don't know if it makes a difference but the laptop is an Asus T100-TA convertible which has a 32 GB SSD (of which there are 7.63 GB free) and 2 GB of RAM. There's also a 64 GB SD card which has been set up as the program install location.

Does anyone know how I can fix this, please? Let me know if you need more details. Thanks.

Last edited:

slooksterpsv

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
You could try a Check Disk and see if there's something wrong with the SSD.

You may need to restore it back to factory defaults and upgrade from then on.
Just be sure to backup everything, unplug unnecessary hardware, etc.

garryknight

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I'll certainly try chkdsk just in case. It's also occurred to me to boot to safe mode and disable virus checkers, etc. But I don't think restoring to factory defaults will work as it had Windows 8.1 in a restore partition and I think that got overwritten. I also really don't want to have to reinstall everything if I don't have to. But thanks for your reply.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05