Which mobile was better lumia 650 or 950?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I am a great fan of microsoft., i hate to use android., i have a problem to choose which one was better

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The 950 has a lot more then 650 in terms of under the hood hardware suchas displayport over usb. So as RumouredNow mentioned it depends are you someone who does everything on their phone or uses their phone for calls, texts, some social media and casual games.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Because it never happened before with any cell phone that I've ever had. It was my fault, but regardless, it is flimsy, just look at how thin and light it is. It doesn't feel premium.
It doesn't feel premium because it's not marketed as such. It's a 6xx series which puts it in line with the lower-middle class of Microsoft's offerings. Thin and light does not necessarily equate to flimsy. As a matter of structural engineering, torsional rigidity is not always desired. Look at the way buildings are constructed in earthquake-prone areas. They're built to "sway" so that repeated forces from flexion and extension do not harm them. Conversely, buildings in hurricane-prone areas are made completely opposite.

In your case, it's academic. Phones are flat and rear-ends are not. El culo will win that fight every time.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
The 650 is by far the lesser set of hardware. Unless you're dying for a phone that looks like a reject iPhone, not sure why you'd like the 650's design, either. Neither is especially attractive, but I find the 650 to be downright ugly, and it's a slower device. There's a reason the 950 is hundred of dollars more.

What is so ugly about a rectangular slab of glass, plastic and metal frame ? I had the 950, which was a good phone btw, but for my needs I find my 650 to be perfectly capable of what I need a mobile device for.
We all have our opinions. As far as the 650 being an iPhone reject, please...the 650 is by far the most aesthetically pleasing Microsoft branded Lumia to date, no contest. This is how the 950/XL should have been designed to begin with.

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I've never understood carrying anything in a back pocket. The people I know who do constantly pull everything out at work and leave them on the desk then have to constantly keep track of it all. I keep my phone in my jacket pocket, or in my pants front pocket.

The Werewolf

May 4, 2014
Visit site
The 650 is by far the lesser set of hardware. Unless you're dying for a phone that looks like a reject iPhone, not sure why you'd like the 650's design, either. Neither is especially attractive, but I find the 650 to be downright ugly, and it's a slower device. There's a reason the 950 is hundred of dollars more.

The 650 looks nothing like an iPhone. Not sure how you come to this conclusion. Either you've never seen a 650 or you've never seen iPhones... Personally I think the 650 is rather elegant looking - it's light and thin.

The 950 is the superior phone spec wise, but it's also a lot more expensive - 2.5x as expensive.

However, for the price, the 650 is no slouch and even includes an NFC chipset, something that doesn't come in until much high prices. The aluminum chassis is also fairly unusual at this price.

I think the best way to look at it is - the 950 is a good top of line phone if you need all the features and horsepower. The 650 is an exceptional low end phone that punches above its price while being classy. It just doesn't feel like a low end phone.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I keep my phone in my fanny pack where it is safest. Anyway, this pocket thing is threatening to take over a thread about choosing between the 950 and 650. I think most of us can agree you keep your phone in the pocket you want to and don't complain if it gets broken through your own fault (the original person even took ownership of this...kudos).

BsrkPu2CUAEWSqY.jpg

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Which is best is very subjective. Some will say the 650, some the 950, and I would say the 950xl, because that's what I use most of the time. For pure aesthetics, I would vote for the 1520. I like the 650 and the 550. I think the 640 is a vastly underrated device. So as you can tell, my suggestions are purely personal.

My advice, if you were able to, would be to get hands on with a device, and see what floats your boat. Also, check out the device threads on WC and see what irritants or annoyances others have come across.

dirkheinrichs

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I bought my 650 four weeks ago. Before I had a 920. It took for a while before I made the switch. I thought the 650 would not as good as the 920. I must say that I like my 650 very much. A very cheap price, extern memory, fast, stabile and so on. Not so much difference than mine 920.
For me the 950 was very much too expansive. And the difference too less comparing with the 650. Now I have a very good phone and in two or three years I can buy the new generation Window Phones. I have very much believe in a better future for the Window phones, special with Redstone.
Dirk

seasidepb

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
There are things which the 650 won't do - demanding games, Continuum, but since I have no interest in either the 650 was the obvious choice. I hesitated a bit - a lot of reviews were sniffy about its apparently low spec processor, but in the three weeks I've had it I've been delighted, which makes you wonder about reviewers and the real world. I guess there's a bigger point too ... Unless they're going to be your primary device flagship phones are pretty pointless. I have a desktop, and a nice portable 2 in 1 (not to mention a small high quality camera) so all I want from a phone is good call management, a good set of PIM apps, email and other messaging, mobile music and internet access when I need it. Having reasonable cameras for the odd snap is a bonus, and with its good screen and nice build quality the 650 is one of the best mid-range options on the market, and probably the best value. It's apparently designed for people like me, and really well designed.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
This is an easy decision to make. If you have the money then 950. If you are on a budget then 650 but I will caution you because 650 is under powered and has small battery. If I were you I will shell out some money and get the 950 with a mozo cover or get that cheap metal case from China. Its all over ebay.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both made the mistake of buy a couple of Lumia 950's. Worst decision ever. Windows 10 doesn't work any better of these overpriced pieces of garbage than on lesser devices. The design is cheap looking, no better than the 640, and the quality of the hardware is an embarrassment. The camera is NOT as good as the 1020. I continue to use my 1020 as my daily driver because the 950 experience is so horrible.

Yvar369

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 650 (dual sim) over the 950 (dual sim) because of the price. So far I am not disappointed by the 650 (because I knew I the pro's and con's). It feels and looks good, performs well, but is not the fastest device out there. The UI is still snappy, but apps take their time to open. The screen looks absolutely good for a budget device! Mail, internet, chatting, FB and car navigation are my main usage. No gaming.
The thing is, -I- can live with the slower speed of the device and can use the 650 on a daily base. I do not know what you want to do with yours.

Nelle Douville

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
My wife and I both made the mistake of buy a couple of Lumia 950's. Worst decision ever. Windows 10 doesn't work any better of these overpriced pieces of garbage than on lesser devices. The design is cheap looking, no better than the 640, and the quality of the hardware is an embarrassment. The camera is NOT as good as the 1020. I continue to use my 1020 as my daily driver because the 950 experience is so horrible.

My 950 works great, and I've no issues with quality. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Donald Simard1

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
a 5+ inch phone in the front pocket sounds uncomfortable - especially when sitting down! yikes.
with keys in one pocket and money clip in the other, I worry that the phone will get all scratched up. I use my back pocket for phone (650 - was 830 until the mic stopped working on it).

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had my 950xl for about four months or so.
It was the first phone I ever paid full price off contact for.

During the time I've had it I've continued to use the preview builds.
Wow some builds really messed things up. Badly at times.

Right now I'm no longer on the fast ring previews with build 14295.1005 at the moment.

Now it's working the best it ever has with just only a few bugs left.
It's working like a top tier phone now.

I use my phones a lot.
I use about 20-30 gigs of data each month so the battery has to be good and this is about as good as it gets.

I use a cheap eBay case that has some rubber to wrap around it and plastic over part of that.
They don't make an Otterbox unfortunately.
I did cut the sides of the rubber that goes over the camera button so it would be easier to push and feel the movement of the camera two stage button.

The corner of the case is currently broken from dropping it a dozen times but the phone is still fine. That's what cases are for.
I don't runs screen protector either because modern gorilla glass doesn't scratch and I like the feel without the screen cover.

I keep the phone in my front pocket but make sure it is in there loose before i sit.
I also often use the cargo pocket over the front of my thigh in my work pants or shorts etc and that seems to help keep it safe
It's a good phone.

Also not mentioned much here is that the 950xl is your spec and better looking than the standard 950.

chinni subhash

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi. Even I am a Microsoft fan and I used to use HTC 8x before my 950 xl. 650 is a great phone but I don't prefer such low end processor and also as u r a fan and wanna try something great, I would definitely suggest you to buy 950 xl which is great. I have had no problems after recent updates. Don't try the insider rings.The back panel creaks but u can fix it and also u can order different colors from china which don't creak at all. I have blue and orange. 950 has the best camera. Windows 10 has to be optimized. Continuum is just great. U can even connect to Ethernet using an adapter. So thumbs up for 950 and not 650

rav4kar

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
If you live in USA, you get Brand new unlocked Lumia 950 for $399 or less on ebay, go with that if you can afford, It's my best advice. I spent about 30 minutes with Lumia 650 in a MS store and it's simply not great other than look and weight. Lumia 950 is a future proof Windows Mobile device!!

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I have NEVER had an issue or needed to worry about this with the Lumia 900, 920 or 1020. THOSE were all beautiful, colorful and SOLIDLY built devices. The 950 is an overpriced piece of garbage. Worst money I spent. Followed by the Xbox One.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa