Which mobile was better lumia 650 or 950?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I am a great fan of microsoft., i hate to use android., i have a problem to choose which one was better

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
My 950 works great, and I've no issues with quality. I guess it comes down to personal preference.
Our personal experience is having come from the 920 and 1020, which were beautiful, solid designs that worked smoothly with Windows Phone 8.1. Windows 10 Mobile is crap, as have been pretty much all the Lumia devices using the typical Android-like candybar design.

johnh3

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I have issues with my Lumia 950. The edge browser show sites wrong sometimes etc.. It get hot and have not so long battery life. My cheap Lumia 550 actually work better in that aspect. Had no issues with edge in that device. So I think Lumia 650 is a better device. It is the latest model also and are probably best adapted/optimised to Windows 10 Mobile. It may be slower but I think the 950 in general was not as good that I was expected it to be.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The 650 looks nothing like an iPhone. Not sure how you come to this conclusion. Either you've never seen a 650 or you've never seen iPhones... Personally I think the 650 is rather elegant looking - it's light and thin.

The 950 is the superior phone spec wise, but it's also a lot more expensive - 2.5x as expensive.

However, for the price, the 650 is no slouch and even includes an NFC chipset, something that doesn't come in until much high prices. The aluminum chassis is also fairly unusual at this price.

I think the best way to look at it is - the 950 is a good top of line phone if you need all the features and horsepower. The 650 is an exceptional low end phone that punches above its price while being classy. It just doesn't feel like a low end phone.

See, I can repeat exactly what you said because you're not basing your comment on anything but thinly veiled insults. The 650 absolutely looks like an iPhone, especially from the back, due to the black body, simple, silver logo in the center, and the lightly colored, metal band around the sides. Other than the camera location, it SCREAMS "iPhone 4."

Now, after that, I'd just suggest you don't know much about tech, if you think the 650 "is no slouch." It uses about the lowest-end chip Qualcomm offers in 2016, with that bottom-end SD 212. The passing of NFC, I'd put that more on cutting corners in markets where it wasn't a big deal, since mobile payments (which W10M doesn't even handle) weren't really around. Years ago, an NFC chip was something like $17, not a big investment. They're probably negligible in cost nowadays, and it more speaks to the trickle-down of technology that's obvious (like how low-end phones now carry HD displays, when they were reserved for high-end devices 3-4 years ago, like NFC). It's A phone without NFC will probably be the exception going forward. You get that aluminum chassis because of the massive tradeoffs on the internals--dropping from the SD 400 series to the 200 series, having a smaller battery, no noticeable/significant improvements to the display or camera. The 650 is a style-over-substance device, the exact thing that Apple's survived on for years, and the exact kind of device I'd never recommend someone I know to buy.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What is so ugly about a rectangular slab of glass, plastic and metal frame ? I had the 950, which was a good phone btw, but for my needs I find my 650 to be perfectly capable of what I need a mobile device for.
We all have our opinions. As far as the 650 being an iPhone reject, please...the 650 is by far the most aesthetically pleasing Microsoft branded Lumia to date, no contest. This is how the 950/XL should have been designed to begin with.

The color of the logo and metal band and the overly rounded corners. I don't like that design, never have. It's why I liked the 930's design more than the 920's (especially the 930s that didn't have that hideous, light band). I mean, your opinion is that you don't need high-tech stuff. That's fine. That your standards are low for a phone doesn't mean the 650 isn't overpriced and underpowered. If you think the 650 is the best-looking Lumia, I recommend your next device be an iPhone 4. It's literally the ugliest Lumia I've seen, with only the 400 and 500 series as contenders.

If the 950 had been designed like that, I'd have been irate because it would have meant junk hardware. The 650's full of entry-level parts and given a much higher price tag because of that gaudy design. The 640 had better internals, relative to the market. The 650 is a gussied-up Lumia 520/521, given its processor class. It's what you buy when you want something shiny over something with good internals, which is why I see it as an iPhone reject--it looks like and iPhone, it fills the niche of an iPhone, and the person I'm replying to sounds like a traditional iPhone user--"it just works and it's pretty."

earthman007

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
I was eager to get the 950 or 950xl prior to launch, because they were potentially very advanced in their functionality and would sport Windows 10. However, they are no longer the only Windows 10 phones around or projected for the near future. As with most products that we might buy, whether a car, phone, whatever, ultimately we'll probably have absolute minimum specifications that we need and some optional features that could be nice to have, if we're willing to afford to spend more.

The 650 isn't too expensive and is fairly reasonable for a device that runs Windows 10 and has the core functionality that many would find satisfactory for a smartphone - it also has Office bundled. I love the very slim handset size and this would this attracts me to it very strongly. I don't particularly find the 950 models outstandingly stunning - but I'm also not someone who needs the cachet of a device that will turn heads etc. I'd use either but find the 650 far more manageable to carry around. I don't usually have a bag, so the concept of a bulky and fairly heavy object always loaded on me - eg, in summer when I prefer light clothing, isn't wondrous. The phones of yesteryear followed a trajectory at one point towards small and very neat style: I rather liked that, so am deterred by the opposite direction that is currently under way towards gargantuan.

Op - determine your minimum requirements, how you'll transport it, your budget over time: so you'll get a feel for the total cost of ownership etc (replacing frequently would probably hint towards lower effective cost).

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I own both the 950 and the 650. I prefer the 950 because of its power. Everything loads quickly, whereas the 650 is noticeably sluggish and sometimes frustrating with its lack of RAM; when you need a camera app to load, you don't want to have to reboot your phone first.

The 650 is very stylish, though, especially with a folding Mozo case.

Edit: Another difference I hadn't seen mentioned in the responses yet is that the 650 charges rather slowly.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It depends where you fall on the material snob scale.

The 950's a better phone in all regards... but with companies like Apple and sites like The Verge making it ever popular to "judge a book by it's cover" that may mean the 650 is more appealing to those who just want the premium "feel". I got a Mozo case because the material makes it easier to grip... but yeah, also *feels* more premium for the material snobs.

Ron Simpson

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I think this is an oranges and bananas question (certainly not an apples and oranges one). I don't think the phones should be compared. They are very different smartphones, as different as the needs/wants they would support. I need the high-end 950 XL Dual SIM and so swallow the higher cost. But my needs/wants are not others.
Regarding the 950 plasticy back, how many of us don't cover our phones with protective cases? How important is the back other than for keeping the innards in anyway? And for those who want a snazzier back, Microsoft has created not just a case market, but a "back market". Capitalism is a good thing.

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No question, the 950 hands down.

Super in all aspects: CPU, Ram, Camera, WM10 performance, etc.

The 650 might have a slight edge on battery (no clue) but it's due to a weaker processor. For longevity the 950 is the only way to go.

Jakob Greve

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I don't know like my 950xl but it seems even their toptier phones have low specs for what they're supposed to do. Anyway glad I got the XL model but for instance the Adeno 430 doesn't fare well against the 530 model And at high ppi for demanding games or for continum that becomes an issue.

Stephen Pedersen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
what did you expect would happen when you put a phone in your back pocket and sit?
Regardless of what was going in on my mind, it was a durability test for the 650, and it failed, unlike all of my previous phones before that. It's flimsy and light. It doesn't have that premium build and feel to it. But that's what you get for a couple hundred bucks. Thank god for insurance and ms employees who didn't see the cracked screen, which let me have a new one on warranty. This phone is just a stepping stone until the surface phone comes out.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of what was going in on my mind, it was a durability test for the 650, and it failed, unlike all of my previous phones before that. It's flimsy and light. It doesn't have that premium build and feel to it. But that's what you get for a couple hundred bucks. Thank god for insurance and ms employees who didn't see the cracked screen, which let me have a new one on warranty. This phone is just a stepping stone until the surface phone comes out.

Here is the Xiaomi's Android flagship : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2jav7UdQtE

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria