How to disable the search button for a locked device?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Cortana keeps on triggering while my phone is in my pocket, listening for voice commands. I cannot find the settings to disable this function in my phone. I did find instructions for WP8, but not W10m.
Where can I find this?
Lumia 920, Windows 10 mobile insider preview 10585.218

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Since Lumia 920 doesn't support passive voice activation, Hey Cortana can be ruled out. So, only one possibility remains but that too needs your phone to be locked with screen turned on. Cortana can be activated by pressing and holding the Search button on lock screen. But this doesn't work if the screen is off.

Maybe, just maybe, the lock button gets pressed accidentally somehow when it is in your pocket and then the search button. But this seems really weird.

Other than this, Cortana cannot be triggered when phone is locked.

Duinsel

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your quick response Deepak.

You are partially right, the search key does not activate with the screen off. However, my glance functionality (which I like in principle) makes it easy to trigger the screen to on in my pocket. Without sliding up (and entering my PIN) I would like it to time out and turn back off quickly if this happens. Instead, it is apparently easy to also trigger search in this state, and then the phone will start chirping in my pocket "listening".

Perhaps the easiest solution is to turn off glance, but I rather like glace so I'd rather not...

Martijn

Dodo_Bird

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like you may need to clean around the proximity sensor. Glance and the Search button should sleep while the phone is pocketed.

Clean the area with a microfiber cloth. If you have a screen protector that covers the proximity sensor, remove it or cut it back.

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Cortana keeps on triggering while my phone is in my pocket, listening for voice commands. I cannot find the settings to disable this function in my phone. I did find instructions for WP8, but not W10m.
Where can I find this?
Lumia 920, Windows 10 mobile insider preview 10585.218

Open cortana, click on hamburger menu, click on settings, now you can see the option to turn off cortana when the screen is locked.

Duinsel

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Open cortana, click on hamburger menu, click on settings, now you can see the option to turn off cortana when the screen is locked.

I read this before and never saw a settings option, that is part of why I posted this question. I started to make a screenshot for you, but then I accidentally found that Settings is actually buried under the Notebook entry of the hamburger menu. Not very intuitive unfortunately, but I am glad I just found it anyway. wp_ss_20160508_0001.png

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes