Windows 10 gave me a virus and I need help recovering windows 7.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I got a notification on my laptop about a new windows 10 download. This download was 100 percent free and gave me the unfortunate thought to download it. Obviously this was a scam and it ruined my laptop completely. This completely shut my computer down, no access to the store, and finally went black. I eventually had to send it in for repair but I lost everything. Photos, games, and even windows 7 itself. The person who fixed it was able to get rid of the virus but installed windows 10 instead of 7. I have been looking for tons of answers from setting it back to the factory settings or not. I really miss windows 7 and will no longer fall for the horrible scams of a hacker, however, the damage was done. I just need to know if there is anyway to recover it or if I need to purchase a disk. My computer is an Acer and I really love it. I don't want to deal with the Windows 10 anymore and need help!

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
A) Windows 10 didnt give you a virus..., you clicked on something you shouldnt have, instantly regretted the decision, and didnt look in the mirror.
B) If you didnt instruct the repair place to update it to 10, they need to revert it to 7.
C) If the above is too super difficult, order recovery CDs from Acer, or google, should cost you around $100 to buy 7. And if you have to pay, dont act as if someone owes you a free copy.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Likely the Win 7 key is stored on your motherboard and you already have a license... Unless the repair shop had to swapboards.

We don't have much detail to go on...

Check to see if you have a key on your hardware with this utility: ProduKey - Recover lost product key (CD-Key) of Windows/MS-Office/SQL Server If a Windows key is shown it is for whatever version your laptop shipped with. Windows 10 key resides in the cloud and will not be on your device. Write the key down or take a screen capture.

Begin your restore journey here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows7&token=RI2WjT9k

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3