Transferring Data and Photos to New Computer: One Drive

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Transferring data to a new computer. Have everything backed up on a hard drive. How to I copy this over and sync with onedrive?

Dropbox was easy and smooth. But can't figure out how to do it on onedrive without having to re-download everything - which seems ridiculous.

Thanks.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Transferring data to a new computer. Have everything backed up on a hard drive. How to I copy this over and sync with onedrive?

Dropbox was easy and smooth. But can't figure out how to do it on onedrive without having to re-download everything - which seems ridiculous.

Thanks.

so the data that you have, it's on a hard drive and you want to upload it on onedrive? Or the data is on onedrive and you want to download it to the new pc?

I'm trying to get the exact nature of your problem so I can help you better

By default, once you sign in to onedrive, it will upload everything that is on your pc in the onedrive folder to onedrive in the cloud and whatever that is on the cloud is downloaded to the pc. When setting up onedrive for the first time, you're given options on which folders to sync and which not to sync

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

TMF3001

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I have a mirror of the data online on the backup hard drive. Rather then re-download all the data online to onedrive on the new computer. I would like to copy it across and then have it sync with the online data.

Dropbox seems to do this easily using the pause and resume feature when setting up manually:
https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/1941

Can't seem to get onedrive to do this.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I have a mirror of the data online on the backup hard drive. Rather then re-download all the data online to onedrive on the new computer. I would like to copy it across and then have it sync with the online data.

Dropbox seems to do this easily using the pause and resume feature when setting up manually:
https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/1941

Can't seem to get onedrive to do this.

so when you copy the data from the backup hard drive to your pc into the onedrive folder, what happens? I believe it would work. If the data on the hard drive is the same as the one online, onedrive will check the local copy and just say it is synced already

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills