I'm planning to upgrade my PC setup by getting a new processor and motherboard. I heard somewhere that W10 license is somehow linked to the computer setup it was initially installed on. Since installing a new motherboard and processor does require reinstall on the OS as well, what kind of trouble should I expect? How should I go about this?
    08-09-2016 05:07 AM
    I'm planning to upgrade my PC setup by getting a new processor and motherboard. I heard somewhere that W10 license is somehow linked to the computer setup it was initially installed on. Since installing a new motherboard and processor does require reinstall on the OS as well, what kind of trouble should I expect? How should I go about this?
    windows 10 comes with two types of activation > Digital entitlement ( when you have successfully upgraded from win 7 / 8 pro-there is no product key in this) >product key

difference between the two is , in digital entitlement, microsoft activation information is saved in your BIOS, and i case you change your motherboard you will lose your activation.

> product key, motherboard change wont effect it and should work fine.

so yours being linked to computer setup ( i consider it being Digital entitlement) you can connect your digital license with your Microsoft account because after the hardware upgrade you will lose your license , . here are the picture of what you see when you have successfully linked your account :

before : ximg_57a259d9a066e.png.pagespeed.gp-jp-jw-pj-js-rj-rp-rw-ri-cp-md.ic.p-kpkw1g0b.png

after:ximg_57a25f0968c96.png.pagespeed.gp-jp-jw-pj-js-rj-rp-rw-ri-cp-md.ic.969cppaaop.png

there is another way where you can contact Microsoft support and you will receive the activation, as it was mentioned by Gabe Aul.
    08-09-2016 06:59 AM
    Thanks for a great answer!

I do have a purchased Win8.1 with key, so it might be that I can just go with that. However, what would be the best practice approach on this considering that I do need to reinstall the OS? Just install with the original Win 8.1 disc and then look for a Win 10 upgrade or get the install ISO on a thumb drive go from there, or something else?

Best,
    Simo
    08-09-2016 07:10 AM