Lumia 950XL no static IP setting?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I am NOT switching my entire network architecture to DHCP to satisfy Microsoft phone usage. Our network devices are hard assigned EVERY IP address by design to prevent 'easy' access. DHCP is well and good but you cannot dictate corporate network designs by your limited market phone. Please FIX THIS or MS phones will be continue to be persona non grata on our networks. Period. End of story.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I am NOT switching my entire network architecture to DHCP to satisfy Microsoft phone usage. Our network devices are hard assigned EVERY IP address by design to prevent 'easy' access. DHCP is well and good but you cannot dictate corporate network designs by your limited market phone. Please FIX THIS or MS phones will be continue to be persona non grata on our networks. Period. End of story.

Just to be clear…

This is a fan based News and Discussion site. It is in no way run by Microsoft, Lumia or any developer.

You've checked in wifi settings under advanced options to see if there's a way to add IP?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
You don't have to "switch your entire network to DHCP" to accomplish this.

You can bring DHCP online and give it a limited range of IP addresses that don't conflict with the ones you're assigning manually. Just enough addresses to cover the few awful terrible non-staticable devices. You can even specify in the DHCP server what MAC address goes with what IP address so you still have complete control. DHCP existing on the network will not affect your other devices with static configurations.

Of course, you *could* switch the entire network to DHCP, assign every existing device the IP it already has by creating reservations with the MAC address. That would make things much easier in the future without having to assign everything at the client. It's still assigned, but configured at the server instead of every machine.

DHCP is used by 99.999% of the networks in the world, Microsoft is not the one who is being hard-headed. Period. End of story.

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes, Microsoft IS being hard-headed.
Most users are using Android, so then we should all throw all Windows Phones to the trash can and switch to Android, according to your argument.
Static IP is important and standard, even if many people won't use it, some people do, abd they have their reasons, as you have your reasons for dhcp. And it is not up to you to decide they don't need it.

Microsoft is being ridiculous to not have this option and it is very frustrating. (Also. Android does have it, come on)

I like Windows Mobile but no static IP is a pretty bad thing for me too.

Also my Lumia 640 does have it, so why would they take it away?

But yeah, this is a user forum, maybe complaining directly to Microsoft via feedback hub or something is better...

daimv

May 21, 2015
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes