Display Settings on Alternate Screen

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a laptop and I like to plug in a full-size keyboard and use a flat screen monitor at my desk at home and work. That all works fine, except for the display settings.

I select the flat screen (monitor 2) as the only one in use (and close the laptop lid), but the image on the flat screen is exactly the size of the screen on my laptop, wasting a lot of space and defeating the purpose of using a larger monitor.

So, I go to display settings and make the changes needed to use the full flat screen.

However, doing so completely messes up the settings on the laptop, and I am getting really tired of having to completely reconfigure every time I go from the flat screen (home and office) to the laptop (traveling).

Can Windows 10 save the settings for each display device and allow me to toggle between them? Even better, since it recognizes the device when it's plugged in, can it toggle automatically?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
It works fine on my brothers HP laptop. When you connect the HDMI, click on action center and then click on "project" Then make sure you select "second screen only". If it's just cloning your main display it will use the resolution from the main display.

Your Hdmi cable/tv may also not support transmitting the necessary info for the video card to change the resolution. But in any event you can go to display settings/advanced display settings to set it there. There's no real saving unless you install a driver for your tv. Everything is typically done via hdmi communication.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a laptop and I like to plug in a full-size keyboard and use a flat screen monitor at my desk at home and work. That all works fine, except for the display settings.

I select the flat screen (monitor 2) as the only one in use (and close the laptop lid), but the image on the flat screen is exactly the size of the screen on my laptop, wasting a lot of space and defeating the purpose of using a larger monitor.

So, I go to display settings and make the changes needed to use the full flat screen.

However, doing so completely messes up the settings on the laptop, and I am getting really tired of having to completely reconfigure every time I go from the flat screen (home and office) to the laptop (traveling).

Can Windows 10 save the settings for each display device and allow me to toggle between them? Even better, since it recognizes the device when it's plugged in, can it toggle automatically?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon