Can't move desktop icon's into empty area/gap created randomly after using external monitor.

mattt

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi!
I'm Matt, I'm new to this forum and I hope I get my desired help/solution which I've been waiting for almost a year with no success.

My device info:
Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300u, Windows 11 Pro, Build: 22H2, 22621.1555, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22640.1000.0 .
Display: 2736 x 1824 at 175% display scaling.

External Monitor:
Acer X163WL
Display: 1366 X 768 at 175% display scaling. (using a vga to mdp convertor to hook both the SP4 and the monitor together.)

So as the title say's somehow there's an empty gap present in the bottom row of my desktop above the taskbar and I can't place anything in that specific area, and it creates this weird gap which doesn't look appealing to me and weird. This probably happened after using my external monitor which has a resolution of 1366 x 768 and at 175% scaling.

And another thing I've noticed is that when I make my external monitor as the primary display, the empty space/gap goes away and remains normal, but immiediatly after unplugging the convertor from my SP4's mdp port, the gap/area reappears and does not allow me to place any icon's in that specified area.

Things I've tried:
*Messing around with different display scaling's and resolutions, but no hope.
*Tried editing the IconVerticalSpacing key or whatever it's called in regedit, again no hope.
*Tried a common fix which some people recommended which I found whilst googling, place an icon below another icon and drag them both into the affected area, no hope again.
*Tried re-arranging the display order's in Display Settings, what I mean if the configuration for the monitor placement and if you move the mouse over the set area, it goes into the other monitor.

Fixes which *kinda* work:
*Disabling allign icon to grid, kinda works but I still can't fully place it down, there is still a significant amount of gap and it messes up icon placement. (I'm not doing this again)
*Re-installing windows, sigh, I hate this one a lot for many reasons.

(forgot to include images so here's it:)
1681411467457.png

If anyone can help me with this or can suggest a fix for this, I will greatly appreciate it since my laptop has been suffering with this since the time I installed Windows 11 and hooked up my external monitor.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
It must be because of resolutions and display scaling. Windows usually adjust itself according to the recommended or basic resolution of the Monitor. As you said that you tried different display scaling and resolutions with no success.
Well, I think, it's because of your external monitor resolution of 1366 x 768. if this will be 1920 x 1080 then your problem will be resolved because as Windows 11 demands higher resolutions and pixel density.

Reactions: mattt

mattt

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
It must be because of resolutions and display scaling. Windows usually adjust itself according to the recommended or basic resolution of the Monitor. As you said that you tried different display scaling and resolutions with no success.
Well, I think, it's because of your external monitor resolution of 1366 x 768. if this will be 1920 x 1080 then your problem will be resolved because as Windows 11 demands higher resolutions and pixel density.
Thanks for the reply but that’s the catch, I don’t have another monitor other than this, but I do have another laptop, Dell XPS 13 with a 1920 X 1080 display, will somehow making it as a wireless monitor help?

Also this problem occurs after I unplug the converter, but while connected to my monitor and I set the monitor as the main display, the gap goes away as mentioned, but it comes right back when I unplug it, just wanted to stress over this point because this gave me partial success.

Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
Actually, Windows adjust itself according to your resolutions 1366 x 768 which is lower resolution. In process of plug and unplug windows again detect and adjust to recommended.
Can i get your point, or can you get my point...? I am online and waiting for your reply...

mattt

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
“In process of plug and unplug windows again detect and adjust to recommended.”

What do you mean? Pardon me, I did not understand what you exactly meant and what I meant by unplugging is removing the VGA to MDP converter attachment from my SP4.

mattt

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
Actually, Windows adjust itself according to your resolutions 1366 x 768 which is lower resolution. In process of plug and unplug windows again detect and adjust to recommended.
Can i get your point, or can you get my point...? I am online and waiting for your reply...
Now I do understand but what do I do to remedy it / fix or possibly?

mattt

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
Frankly speaking that you can do nothing except to adjust it every time, I know it must be annoying. I suggest it to keep plugged, it may help.
Well why use a laptop then..
And another factor why I can’t use the monitor is because I don’t have a table I can keep it on, I literally have to put it on my bed, and the screen resolution as you may know is horrible compared to the SP4’s almost 3k display, but due to flickergate I am partially forced to use it, guess I’m gonna have to reset my laptop completely and forget using my monitor, sigh, anyway thanks for the help, but I hope this thread does not close so if anyone else has any solutions I could try it would be useful.

Reactions: interlocutor1980
Jun 9, 2021
Visit site
Well why use a laptop then..
And another factor why I can’t use the monitor is because I don’t have a table I can keep it on, I literally have to put it on my bed, and the screen resolution as you may know is horrible compared to the SP4’s almost 3k display, but due to flickergate I am partially forced to use it, guess I’m gonna have to reset my laptop completely and forget using my monitor, sigh, anyway thanks for the help, but I hope this thread does not close so if anyone else has any solutions I could try it would be useful.
You are most welcome dear and Good Luck...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital