My Surface Pro (1st generation) is running Windows 10 and I have it set to update Windows automatically. It's been doing that fine. Recently though I noticed that it always offers me 'Update and shut down' instead of just 'Shut down'. So I let it update. Next time I use the machine and come to shut it down, it makes me update again. And while it's updating, it certainly looks like it's trying to update rather than just shutting down.

According to my Windows Update history, the last successful update was on 15th September. But it's listing no update failures either, which is suspicious.

Anyone got any ideas?
    09-30-2016 07:17 AM
    My Surface Pro (1st generation) is running Windows 10 and I have it set to update Windows automatically. It's been doing that fine. Recently though I noticed that it always offers me 'Update and shut down' instead of just 'Shut down'. So I let it update. Next time I use the machine and come to shut it down, it makes me update again. And while it's updating, it certainly looks like it's trying to update rather than just shutting down.

According to my Windows Update history, the last successful update was on 15th September. But it's listing no update failures either, which is suspicious.

Anyone got any ideas?
    Did you tried a "Update and Reboot" instead?
    09-30-2016 11:34 AM
    I have tried that. In fact one time I just did that continuously for about five cycles, update and restart, update and restart, update and restart, update and restart, update and restart but it didn't help. :( It still always wants to update, never actually does it, and reports no failures.

Thanks Maurizio. (I'm the OP by the way, just no longer a guest.)
    09-30-2016 03:45 PM
    You could use the Windows Update troubleshoot utility available from Microsoft.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    10-01-2016 12:19 AM
    How many data mb does window 10 updates need.
    10-01-2016 12:27 AM
    I have tried that. In fact one time I just did that continuously for about five cycles, update and restart, update and restart, update and restart, update and restart, update and restart but it didn't help. :( It still always wants to update, never actually does it, and reports no failures.

Thanks Maurizio. (I'm the OP by the way, just no longer a guest.)
    check in update settings if also have updates set to install for other MS products - try disabling that
    10-01-2016 08:35 AM
    You could use the Windows Update troubleshoot utility available from Microsoft.
    I've already tried this. It's found nothing wrong.
    10-01-2016 04:50 PM
    check in update settings if also have updates set to install for other MS products - try disabling that
    That sounds promising. I'll have a look. Thanks.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    10-01-2016 04:51 PM
    That fixed it thanks Chintan. Thanks also to all who responded.
    10-02-2016 01:55 PM