MS Edge won't work :(

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hi, I recently downloaded a program called Malwarebytes to clean up the crap making my computer sick. I was getting popups and websites I never wanted to go to so figured I had some malware. Malwarebytes cleaned up everything but I cannot launch MS Edge. It starts and then crashes and I cannot figure out how to fix it. I would appreciate any suggestions. Oh, does Win 10 have a feature like older versions of Windows that you can use to "go back" to a different time when things were not all screwed up? Thanks very much. G

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh, does Win 10 have a feature like older versions of Windows that you can use to "go back" to a different time when things were not all screwed up?

Those are called Restore Points, yes W10 has them.

In the system search bar type "restore point" and select the "Create a restore point" option. Never mind that you are reverting to a restore point rather than creating one. It leads to the same place.

rp001.PNG

Click on System Restore and follow the prompts... Note you can also create Restore Points from this applet (green circle) and that might come in handy later.

rp002.png

As for the other bit, sounds like either Malwarebytes did not do a proper job removing the viruses, or more likely, you got carried away and had it remove something that was actually an Edge component that got flagged as a false positive.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi friend! Thanks for joining me on this thread. Excellent description of how to use Restore points. I'm thinking the Op will not be that lucky to get W10 back that easily, but it would be the first place I would start also. Looks like a Refresh-reset to me.:wink:
Team work is good. Thanks @RumoredNow! :wink:

GLGreeves

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
I think I'm officially joined, lol.
This whole mess started after I dumped a free antivirus program and started using Win Defender (on the advice of a friend who also said she uses Malwarebytes and Win Def) and Malwarebytes. I was getting that idiotic box at the bottom of my screen that says MS blocked popups do you want to allow them once or always? I never clicked on either button but the web pages I didn't even want to see started to open up. I had a verbal warning box telling me I should call some 800 number for tech support and a weird blue screen (not the usual bsod). I just shut everything down and then ran a Malwarebytes scan which found errors and unwanted programs that were quarantined and then I deleted them. Then I couldn't use MS Edge because it would try and open and then close. I can use Google Chrome or IE but like Edge a bit better.
If I do a system restore/go back, won't those malware bugs be there and just come back again? And will it still save all my files? I miss Windows 7! Thanks for the suggestions and I will give the advice a go......

GLGreeves

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
Well, I'm in the process of restoring my system and I'm kinda freaked about what I'll lose and what will or might come back. Thanks for the help and if all goes well I'll be back......peace.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi Welcome to Windows Central. W10 has a lot of ways to recover. My advise would be to boot into Advanced Startup. There are several options to recover w10.
How to Use the Advanced Startup Options to Fix Your Windows 8 or 10 PC
If you need more help,please join the forum. Myself or other WC members would be happy to help you with this issue.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/310085-join-windows-central-community.html

Those are called Restore Points, yes W10 has them.

In the system search bar type "restore point" and select the "Create a restore point" option. Never mind that you are reverting to a restore point rather than creating one. It leads to the same place.

View attachment 133388

Click on System Restore and follow the prompts... Note you can also create Restore Points from this applet (green circle) and that might come in handy later.

View attachment 133389

As for the other bit, sounds like either Malwarebytes did not do a proper job removing the viruses, or more likely, you got carried away and had it remove something that was actually an Edge component that got flagged as a false positive.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Combined for best answer purpose!

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi Thanks for joining Windows Central! Thanks for your reply! If your using a restore point, you won't lose that much. If your using refresh/reset, you could lose some apps. The process make take some time. Depending on which recovery option you chose.
Please keep up informed on your progress! Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss