Hi Folks,

I received the Nokia Lumia 520 - AT&T No-Contract GoPhone at a conference a few years back and have never used the phone because I already had a phone/contract plan I liked. I am now traveling to Africa in a months and don't want to use my current phone/contract because of the crazy international plan that Verizon has.

I am wondering if it is possible to use the phone with a SIM card purchased from vodacom locally in South Africa when I arrive or if i need to go through the unlocking process with at&t first?

Thank you in advance!
    02-17-2017 03:38 PM
    Hi Folks,

I received the Nokia Lumia 520 - AT&T No-Contract GoPhone at a conference a few years back and have never used the phone because I already had a phone/contract plan I liked. I am now traveling to Africa in a months and don't want to use my current phone/contract because of the crazy international plan that Verizon has.

I am wondering if it is possible to use the phone with a SIM card purchased from vodacom locally in South Africa when I arrive or if i need to go through the unlocking process with at&t first?

Thank you in advance!
    You'll have to unlock it. Search for att device unlock on Bing. There should be an att webpage that will take you to the device unlock portal.

Sent from mTalk
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-17-2017 06:08 PM
    Follow the guide: http://forums.windowscentral.com/t/3...t-edition.html

You should be good to receive 2G/EDGE and 3G/H+ service on Voda in SA. The frequencies they use match the 520 you have.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-18-2017 12:32 AM