Picking up my first windows phone and looking for some information on the Lumia 950.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Hey there! I've been doing tons of research looking into windows devices and i'm more than welcome to join the community despite "app-gap". My options have been between the Alcatel Idol 4S and the Lumia 950 (non xl). I know the Idol 4S is newer than the Lumia but I do have a few concerns.

1. Will the Lumia 950 be more likley to not receive any future support to any major Window's updates to the platform? Clearly ARM is out of the question on any mobile device other than the Elite x3 but I want to know if I will have any issues in the future.

2. How is the battery life on the 950? My current phone usually drops pretty low by the time i'm home, around 40% battery life I don't charge it. This is an 8 hour work day, I usually watch twitch for most of that time but even being at home my phone dies quickly from surfing the web and using social media. I'm looking for something super reliable in terms of battery.

3. This one is a bit of a cosmetic gripe, but how does the phone feel in the hand? It's VERY hard to tell from the reviews I have seen considering its larger than a iPhone but smaller than a iPhone Plus. I'm in no way a fan of small devices which is why I always opted for phablets over normal devices. But the 950 seems like it hits a certain sweet spot in size. What are your opinions on the size of the phone?

Thanks for your time!

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
I'm a proud owner of a 950,had it almost a year,got it brand new from Att,but I think it'll be updated and supported in the future,but who really knows,the stock battery is horrible,get a AceSoft,I had to replace my battery after about 4 months and from what I've heard every one else has had the same problem,and as far as look and feel,I have a mozo walnut looking back for mine and it looks and feels better than any phone I've ever seen,but the camera is great and plenty of storage,so do what you want,I can't speak about the idol,looks amazing,good luck

tokyoaro

May 28, 2017
Visit site
I'm a proud owner of a 950,had it almost a year,got it brand new from Att,but I think it'll be updated and supported in the future,but who really knows,the stock battery is horrible,get a AceSoft,I had to replace my battery after about 4 months and from what I've heard every one else has had the same problem,and as far as look and feel,I have a mozo walnut looking back for mine and it looks and feels better than any phone I've ever seen,but the camera is great and plenty of storage,so do what you want,I can't speak about the idol,looks amazing,good luck

Hey, OP here. Thanks for the response!

How has the AceSoft battery worked for you? What kind of battery life do you get from it?

nick popplewell

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
The AceSoft battery is amazing,on a full charge and during typical use,for me that's everything off till I use it,like data,wifi,location or whatever,I really don't know because it's never died on me unless I leave without charging it,but I don't worry about it,put it that way,it's listed as 3500mah or something like that but on the battery it says in English that its 4770mah,I mentioned that awhile back on here and this one dude got all tore up about it,he gave me the scientific breakdown and history and everything on why it couldn't be 4770,well idk about any of that,all I know is what it says right on it and that I don't even think about it going down,and it charges really fast,I think they sale em in two packs with a wall charger included for like $60 or something like that,but I don't see anything better out there,highly recommend it,hope this helps

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
As Nick said, who knows about updates. MS has had a shaky history esp. when you consider the shifts from wp7, wp8 and to w10m. A lot of phones got left behind that were originally promised more.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3