Update to windows 10 pro has weakened my wireless dl speed.

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I updated to windows 10 pro from 8.1 and immediately noticed a drop in download speed. I used to get about 60-80 mbits dl and about 35 mbits ul. Now that I'm running windows 10 pro I get about 30 mbits dl and around 30 mbits ul. When I plug in an ethernet cable I go back up to the 60-80 mbits dl and still have the 30mbits ul.

Somehow, the upload is unaffected where as the download is, this indicates there is some hidden option I'm not aware of that is purposely balancing my dl and ul levels or something else to that effect.

Any ideas?

Hyrokumata

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried to update your drivers? I don't know how you updated to Windows 10 (clean install, etc), but Windows Update doesn't always have the latest and best drivers.
You can search manually for the network adapter drivers, or check your laptop/PC brand website for Support and see if they support Windows 10 for your device.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I updated to windows 10 pro from 8.1 and immediately noticed a drop in download speed. I used to get about 60-80 mbits dl and about 35 mbits ul. Now that I'm running windows 10 pro I get about 30 mbits dl and around 30 mbits ul. When I plug in an ethernet cable I go back up to the 60-80 mbits dl and still have the 30mbits ul.

Somehow, the upload is unaffected where as the download is, this indicates there is some hidden option I'm not aware of that is purposely balancing my dl and ul levels or something else to that effect.

Any ideas?

This is for what device? A desktop or laptop or surface? Can you check for driver updates for wifi? And is anything else using the bandwidth?

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This is OP. It's for a desktop computer. Windows 10 swears I have all the drivers updated buy I managed to find a newer one for my athereos wireless card which still didn't do anything.

And there's nothing else downloading or updating in the background? If you've just installed windows 10, there will be a lot of OS updates, store updates downloading in the background

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes