Hello, I need your help guys.

I am trying to know how much RAM and processor do I need for a desktop with the following apps:

- Windows 10 Professional.
    - Microsoft Office suite
    - Sharepoint
    - Dropbox
    - Filemaker
    - Project
    - One Drive
    - Google Drive
    - Accounting software
    - And others.

I have computers with 4GB of RAM and i3 processor. I am planning to buy news computers but I would like to know how can I calculate how much RAM and processor do I need in base of the apps that I use.

Any idea?

11-18-2017 07:01 PM
    I would start with how the current computers perform.

If I were outfitting a fleet of PCs with cost being a big constraint, 4 GB may be sufficient for most of those. However, there's a lot of different between performing those tasks one-at-a-time or all at once. So if these PCs are going to need to handle a lot of tasks at once and your current loadouts aren't performing than I'd bump up to 8 minimum.

As for a processor, I think you'd be surprised at what you can get away with unless your work is based a lot on raw number crunching. I would sooner think about outfitting your PCs with SSDs which have made older PCs fly. (as long as the processor isn't really low-end, like below the i-series.
    11-18-2017 10:08 PM
    Install SSD storage.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-19-2017 05:37 AM
    A 7th/8th gen i3 or i5 (or even a Ryzen 3 or 5 if you're into AMD) with 8gb of DDR4 RAM and a SATA SSD should be good enough
    11-20-2017 06:59 AM
    Before you plan to buy a new computer you need to know how your computer performs in the current environment of 4GB RAM and i3 processor..If you want to check the amount of memory the apps consume you can open the task manager>processes you might get an idea of exact consumption of the resources your computer . You may have an option to use an Upgraded SSD or HDD. If you are planning to buy a new computer you can go for i5 and above processors with 8GB DDR3 to experience the best working environment.

Adrian Gates

Cloud Expert - Apps4Rent.
    01-09-2018 09:44 AM