Can we expect Surface phone on MWC 2018? If no,then when can we expect?

ChrisHistorian

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
If they announce a foldable two screen LCD phone it'll amaze people just up to the point where Samsung announces their foldable phone. Despite the fact they'll probably release a year later, Samsung will do what everybody's done to Windows phones, outsell them by several orders of magnitude.

Microsoft has actually made prototype versions of two devices that would stand out in the market. The Courier in 2009, and the head of their Surface division said in 2015 he had a "Surface mini" using e-ink that he likened to a Moleskine, and that it was "awesome." Despite the fact there were rumors back in late 2017 (October-December timeframe) that the Andromeda device was a new version of the Courier, it now seems like they're going to screw this up yet again and announce a foldable phone with two LCD screens. The same basic device Samsung and several other manufacturers will display and sell no later than 2019.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I imagine we're more likely to see something that is like the always-on PC's that can fit in your pocket. It'd be nice if it had telephony, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edit: As others have already said, they won't announce it at a mobile phone event, though.

Nathan Sokalski

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I may be one of the minorities when it comes to Windows Phone & Windows Mobile, but I'm still planning on waiting a long time, even several years, before moving to another phone. Windows Phone &
Windows Mobile is a chicken - egg game, and I plan on doing what I can to make sure it doesn't go extinct

cr_buck

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
We nearly every major app either not supporting Windows not supporting Windows and particularly not supporting smalls screens it seems there is no point to UWA and PWA is still a long way away. It would struggle for meaning at this point.. Furthet complicating things is many feel Microsoft has pulled away from consumers, particularly in the phone area. Many IT colleagues consider Windows a computer for staff only and mobile as Android or iOS now making a sell for corporate tougher. Microsoft would really have to do something truly groundbreaking, even more than the original surface, to get traction and that would likely require a dedicated launch event if it happened.

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

There will never be a Surface phone. A pocketable Surface device with cellular connectivity will come Q1 2019. If it come earlier then great but Q4 2018 is about as early you can expect. Lets hope OEMs jump on and deliver some competing devices to drive the market.

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't see them releasing something that isn't ground breaking. They have had too many fails just to release another "phone" so this new device has to be good, innovative and create it's own niche. That does not guarantee success though, the market will decide that.

Serpentbane

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Can we expect Surface phone on MWC 2018? If no, then when can we expect?

A big problem for MS is people not knowing they had a mobile OS in the first place, and people brand shopping. Most people do not talk about OS', but iPhone or Samsung. At least where I live. And there is iPhone chargers, and Samsung Chargers. Micro USB, what's that?

If MS want to be successful they have to have OEM's on board. When MS themselves became the largest Windows Phone and mobile manufacturer, they took a huge chunk of a small market. Samsung, HTC, LG and others saw no point in competing with MS in a small market segment. However, If Samsung sold as many Windows devices as MS did, things might have turned out differently. Snap Chat still would have had a huge impact though.

In the PC market things are different. They can sell lots of Surface devices, and still be outsold by their OEM's by a magnitude. If MS are indeed working on pocketable PC's with cellular functionality, they should be working with the larger OEM's as well. When they release their Surface concept, the OEM's should be tight on their *** with their own devices. And MS should make sure the OEM's sells more devices than themselves, at least until the device form factor gets momentum and developers gets onboard with app development for mobile form factors.

I believe they will release a new device, but MWC 2018? Not so sure about that one.

mvierling

May 19, 2008
Visit site

Why is this still being discussed? No one wants it. If it is not running Android or iOS, then developers won't write apps for it and it won't sell. How many reboots of phone operating systems does Microsoft have to figure out that nobody wants it. Even if they do showcase the phone, it will be discontinued after short time after no one purchases or uses it (aka Zune, Band, prior versions of phones, Kinect, and soon Cortana).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon