What is the fastest CPU I can update my laptop with?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have a HP Zbook G3 work station laptop 2nd type Skylake the current CPU is an I7 6820HQ 2.7 Ghz the chip set is an Intel 100 series C230 chipset (CM236) in the intel driver section it has a Xeon E3-1200/1500 v5/6 gen intel core driver I'm wondering what is the fastest and best CPU I can put in this Lap top the fastest CPU HP offered was an intel® Xeon® E3-1535M v5. but I'm sure a faster one can be used can anyone help me with this ?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Those CPUs are usually soldered in. I'm not entirely sure upgrading the CPU is even possible, let alone worth the effort. Sadly, laptops have always been regarded as disposable computers.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...grade-processor-chip-in-Zbook-G3/td-p/6155235

This tells me that the Zbook G3 has a soldered in CPU like most laptops these days so you're not going to be able to upgrade it. Socketed CPU's have largely gone the way of the dodo in recent years and generally upgrading the CPU in laptops isn't too common even in models where it was possible given the "good enough" nature of most and desktops are more suited for going as fast as your dollar can go.

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...grade-processor-chip-in-Zbook-G3/td-p/6155235

This tells me that the Zbook G3 has a soldered in CPU like most laptops these days so you're not going to be able to upgrade it. Socketed CPU's have largely gone the way of the dodo in recent years and generally upgrading the CPU in laptops isn't too common even in models where it was possible given the "good enough" nature of most and desktops are more suited for going as fast as your dollar can go.
To add to this: even if upgrading was possible, at the same time you might as well get a few batteries while they are available. The question then becomes is all this worth it? An upgraded CPU will be more battery hungry.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To add to this: even if upgrading was possible, at the same time you might as well get a few batteries while they are available. The question then becomes is all this worth it? An upgraded CPU will be more battery hungry.

That's true, I read about people who upgrade their ThinkPad processors, when they had socketed CPU's, also have to think about the potentially increased thermal output when used with the same cooling system.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I remember upgrading to a Intel Pentium m 2.0 Ghz processor in my HP NC 6000 many years back, fastest cpu the motherboard could handle. Windows 7 runs better on it then XP which it was designed for.

Golfdriver97

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
OP: here is a counter question: Do you need a laptop specifically? And what do you do with it? Is it possible that if you had say, a $1000-1500 budget to buy a simple laptop, like a Chromebook for $150 and putting the balance to a powerhouse desktop PC that you could build?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05