what antivirus and malware does this forum reccomend?

corvairbob

May 2, 2018
Visit site
so i have been using the chromebooks for the last 4 to 5 years and then google decided to start an end of life. so i got back into windows machines. i used the chromebooks for the security but now that has ended and i'm back on the laptops and windows 10. i upgraded for windows 7 that last machine i had ran that os. so my machines now have 10 professional on them and 8gb ram 64 bit systems.

so my question is what is the general consensus on antivirus and malware programs to run with windows 10? i have the defender running but some are telling me i need more. so what is the more? i did install the free avast program and i put spybot and whocrashed, but not to sure about them yet.

so i'm thinking the best place to find good antivirus and malware programs will be a site like this windows forums. any help is welcome. thanks. bp.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In general, Windows Defender is sufficient. Since Windows 10 it is quite robust. With older versions of Windows it was often helpful to use a more powerful 3rd party solution, but not so much anymore.

DudeVanDudenstein

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
so i have been using the chromebooks for the last 4 to 5 years and then google decided to start an end of life. so i got back into windows machines. i used the chromebooks for the security but now that has ended and i'm back on the laptops and windows 10. i upgraded for windows 7 that last machine i had ran that os. so my machines now have 10 professional on them and 8gb ram 64 bit systems.

so my question is what is the general consensus on antivirus and malware programs to run with windows 10? i have the defender running but some are telling me i need more. so what is the more? i did install the free avast program and i put spybot and whocrashed, but not to sure about them yet.

so i'm thinking the best place to find good antivirus and malware programs will be a site like this windows forums. any help is welcome. thanks. bp.

Windows Defender and uBlock Origin. That's it.

Run Malwarebytes once in awhile if you're suspicious of being infected. You're good to go with the free version. I install and run it myself maybe once a month, and never been infected with just the above installed. Do not use Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky. You don't need them, and they'll slow your system down.

jkelek

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
if you know what you are doing and you're not on a network with other users then windows defender should be plenty adequate, convenient, and free. if you are a normal user you'd probably want to have an additional AV. ESET makes a great lightweight AV called NOD32. it will do a great job and run well. don't get all crazy thinking about it though, just don't click on links you don't know what they are on websites and in email and don't install or run anything you don't know what it is and you'll generally be fine.

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Nowadays I don't install unnecessary win32s (e.g. Unreal, VisualStudio, Adobe, trustworthy big names), it's either UWP (sandboxed, no more system tampering, clean uninstall and no more slow down overtime) or web.
WinDefender is enough and it has a pretty good reputation.

My PC usage...
I don't DL anything anymore... no more vid or things... no visiting dodgy websites and use no torrent.

Netflix, YouTube, OneNote, Todo, Messenger, OneDrive, etc are all cloud-based.
I buy digital games and I only play games with cloud save. It allows me to run 1 copy on multiple xboxes and PC, worry free.
My project files <- version control.
Raw Photos <- version control.
Compressed photo for sharing <- Google Photo.

WinDefender is good enough for me.

Cbarnhorst

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
Defender is very good and I don't even notice it working. I stay away from third-party software, especially "do-everything" utilities. Things have sure changed since XP SP2 regarding security in Windows.

EXboxNick

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Sophos Home. it's free, had a web based manageable client to oversee all connected devices, also let's you pick and choose threat levels of protection. you can force a scan too either immediately or next time it's powered on. it's truly Enterprise security and features at your finger tips, for free

Matthias Boerner

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site

Just Windows defender.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
As with many here, I'd recommend just using Windows Defender, not only because it's plenty good enough but also because it seems to be a much better job than any of the third-party options at remaining invisible in the background without surges that take over the CPU or drive, both of which are real battery killers. And MS does also push a separate updated malware scanner once a month through Windows Update.

jazman_777

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
None of these third parties is transparent about their own coding practices. Are they secure, just as likely they're another piece of carp software with vulnerabilities that's part of your attack surface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos