Would you subscribe to Microsoft streaming TV?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

The Playstation Vue seemed to have found a place. Why not Microsoft? I would jump on this type of service if Microsoft had it available. Especially running through the Xbox. What do you say?

Paul Josephson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"
Because Sony is a consumer electronics company."

How does that work? PSVue is not integrated into their electronics directly. If anything it a software-based service that is being offered by an electronics company. Microsoft is about both software and services (see cloud investments). And like Sony has a console they make. But, they also have a lot of OEMs (not just one electronics company) to exploit this system from a Windows perspective (like all in ones) or if they could (like I said above) compete with Apple TV devices directly. But, with Microsoft, their option could include whatever they come up with their planned game streaming (true gaming catalog - not Tetris). No just an Xbox One only option. Of course, knowing Microsft they will be planing and planning and planing but by the time the doe anything Google will have had their system out for years. Sure Googles or Amazon will be a mess for a couple of those years. But, they will work out those issues (for the most part) and they will be entrenched already. Microsoft will arrive too late, too expensive and still with too few features (that they say will be fixed or added in the next update). That is my problem. I know Microsoft can do it better than any company out there (mostly with services) but, they are slow, so slow. They take too long to get anything out the door when they had the chance to first, they overthink.

unklmik

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
No thanks. Microsoft has very little knowledge in the consumer market for anything, much less streaming. Zune, Music, Windows Media Center (which, BTW, is still the best media software ever produced); and the list can go on and on........... all shot to hell. Their main focus is enterprise; always has been and always will be until Android, Linux and Apple slowly erodes them.

Paul Josephson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What party? Not a single service is a complete answer. Far from it. Apple TV provides nothing like PSVue and the gaming is barely acceptable. PSVue (or the PlayStation) provides nothing like Apple TV. Or internet provider option or cable options are a mismatched mess. There are lots of streaming competitors but those are individual systems not completely integrated. Cases like Netflix and Hulu and others are additions to but, not like PSVue or what is being discussed. Google? I am not sure what they have that is a complete option. And the all important true game streaming is not part of anything. (PSNow is a joke, and Nvidia is expensive)

The party may have started but, barely. It is just 8 pm and only people there are the awkward people you know the ones that always arrive early and parents who have to get back home to their kids by 11. So a streaming device (that cool kid everyone wants to be) is not even at the party yet. There needs to be a system built around a great interface, including third-party options like Netflix, Hulu (AppleTV, Fire do that), but for cord cutters also provide the same services of PSVue, and most importantly provide a full streaming gaming ability (e.g. stream Halo without issues). Without integrating everything together you just hobbling multiple systems like always happens. I don't' want to have to buy and switch to different systems to get from one service to the next. Until that one system can provide it all in one box the party isn't over.

mvierling

May 19, 2008
Visit site
You mean they won't abandon it like their music streaming service, Zune, Kin, Windows Phone, Kinnect, soon to be Cortana. Give up Microsoft. Other than Xbox, you don't do anything correctly in the consumer world.

Serpentbane

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
The Playstation Vue seemed to have found a place. Why not Microsoft? I would jump on this type of service if Microsoft had it available. Especially running through the Xbox. What do you say?

Sure. But they should make a god deal on Xbox Live, TV and Groove (yes Groove) tightly integrated with their family services for atleast six. Then I could see what they are watching, set screen time per service, not just computer, and so on.

They have all the pieces, the just need to build the jigsaw puzzle...

Holliday1985

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

It just depends on pricing and content offered. I have both Hulu and Netflix. If they can get the same content as Hulu at the same price point or better, I might consider it. Until then it would be a wait and see strategy for me. That is if they jump into that type of service. Still waiting on the Halo TV series though.

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
What party? Not a single service is a complete answer. Far from it.

Agreed. I've been reviewing all of these types of services and not a one is complete. PSVue is the closest to what I think I would want. But I'd prefer it if it were Microsoft system. I think Microsoft has all the tools to make this happen if they really wanted. This is a space they can dominate if done correctly. I know this is not on the radar for Microsoft, but how I wish they secretly are.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes