Microsoft's Movies and TV now supports Movies Anywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Probably not. I mostly just use Netflix for my entertainment needs. It's rare that I can not find something to enjoy. Besides a great collection of movies including many "made for Netflix" they also have many of their own TV shows. I JUST got done a binge of Altered Carbon! Generally I don't rent or buy movies. If I REALLY want to see a new movie I go to the theater. :)

gtc69

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Now that Movies and TV supports MoviesAnywhere, are you going to buy stuff from the movie store? I know I will!

I'm not going to buy any movies from Microsoft, I don't feel they will continue to support their own services in a few years (see groove music )and think it will be safer to buy digital content from other providers who have a bigger stake in TV and video content.

tumolo

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I already have a nice collection built up over the years through my Xbox. This makes it nice to be able to watch these on Android or Apple devices without having to wait on a Microsoft solution. Plus the app allows downloading of the movie which is a huge plus for my headrest tablets in the car for my kid. Got some decent movies for free over the years as well. Keep integrating softy

Big Swifty

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a large collection of digital movies and physical media) and have been with UltraViolet from the beginning. As that service evolved I am now connected with VUDU, Fandango, Movies Anywhere (Disney before that), Universal Digital and Paramount Digital. Now that Microsoft is connected I can watch most all this content on the best platform, my XBOX One X. It is only thing I own that plays all formats (HDR 10, HD, Dolby Atmos) correctly and with the addition of Dolby Vision this fall even that will be covered for the few titles I own that support it.

I probably will continue to purchase movies on disc in 4K and then redeem the codes on VUDU but I have already purchased a few digital movies from Microsoft and now they show up in my VUDU and Movies Anywhere account. So if they have a good sale I will certainly be more likely now to purchase from Microsoft. Especially if they have good prices on some of the films I only have on VHS or Laserdisc!

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by Vishvjeet Arya
Now that Movies and TV supports MoviesAnywhere, are you going to buy stuff from the movie store? I know I will!

I will now I own 169 digital movies on VUDU and now is on Movies & Tv App now.
I got burned from MSFT on my Zune Player.
I Bought some Movies on Zune, when I went to restart my PC every time it wasn't running right, after the 5th time my Movies wouldn't download anymore.
I called Zune and found out ur only allowed to download them 5 times after that u could only stream them.
So after that I've been hesitant to buy movies from MSFT in fear I would get burned again.
But now no worries, if I buy a movie it will show up on my VUDU Acct as long as VUDU has it I'll own it..

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I would if Movies Anywhere had Global Licensing. I travel and move around a lot for business and there is no point investing in something that locks you into a specific region and you are screwed if you go anywhere else.
I don't care what licenses and other crap needs to be sorted behind the scenes, all I care about is to buy a Movie or TV Show and actually own it no matter where you are or what device you want to watch on, etc, etc.
The ideal Movie service I would invest a ton in would be if it worked like GOG for games does. No DRM no licenses, no BS; simply pay for stuff and consume it on your devices regardless of anything else.

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
Not us. We always buy the Blueray+digital copy from Walmart, etc. And, if we ever convert all our gear to 4K (not any time in the near future, mind you), we'll buy the 4K hardcopy w/digital. We have always been able to tell a difference between the straight-from-blueray and the streamed version. So, when we are at home, it's Blueray all the way. When we're away from home, we have the digital version we can watch.

Dean478

Jun 9, 2018
Visit site
If it was available in Australia and had quality to match Bluray, yes! However it's not available outside the US and streaming quality on Netflix, Google Movies, and Windows Store is very poor...

AvengerOfMen

Aug 20, 2018
Visit site

Maybe if Microsoft has a good price on a movie I will. Before I would never have even considered buying on Movies & TV for the fear that they might shut down like Groove Music even though I own a Windows 10 PC. Of course I still prefer physical copies, but if I find a good deal or offer, it's hard to resist. This makes it easier to watch movies on my PC offline as the only other platform that offers it is VUDU, but their app is garbage and the quality isn't as good.

ryanlrobinson

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've gone back and forth a few times on digital vs Blu-ray disc. A few things keep me from going all-in on digital:

Movies Anywhere isn't officially in Canada, but of course you can signup from behind a VPN so we've still taken advantage to some degree (iTunes is the main limitation as they need your Apple account to be U.S., too). So I can use it now, but it's still a hard sell to commit a lot of money to a platform that may turn around, block me out, and wipe out my licenses.

Discs are still higher quality and often come with more bonus features. That's not always a factor if I'm just going to watch something once or twice, but most of the time if I'm buying I care more about that stuff.

I can rip discs and use on Plex, which is a more pleasant interface than any of the MA streaming services and available on all my devices and includes TV and includes studios which haven't signed on to MA yet.

Related to the first point, I actually own the disc. I'm not at the whim of a licensing agreement running out or (unlikely) a company shutting down the service.

Digital is not any cheaper most of the time, aside from more sale options to watch for. If I could get digital for significantly less, yeah, that would probably swing the calculus in a hurry, but it's usually not.

Movies Anywhere is still not completely reliable. Some movies don't sync that I am pretty sure should (the studio is a part of the program). Other movies might give me an extended version and a theatrical version on the platform I bought it, but only the theatrical syncs. I think about 70% of my movies synced, which is far better than not having the service at all, but is more than enough leftover that I am always left second-guessing: will this one work?

For now I'll keep buying disc+digital combos, putting the digital into Google Play and maybe it works to MA from there, maybe not, but at least I've got the disc to use otherwise.

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I've bought video content on Movies and TV back when I first bought the Xbox 360. Since then, I've amassed well over 400 videos that I've been able to watch on Xbox, Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile and later PC. Since then, I've only been able to watch them on my PC or Xbox, since I now use an Android phone. I sorely missed having my video collection on the go.

However, with MS getting aboard Movies Anywhere, it does help. I understand that having a dedicated app would be a challenge, because TV, video box manufacturers would not necessarily have support for a dedicated Movies & TV app, although it would be nice. I could then truly watch ALL of my Movies & TV content anywhere.

It's definitely a great step in the right direction and I hope all movie studios get aboard this. As for MS, this was a smart move. This will hopefully lead to a dedicated Movies & TV app later down the road, if this causes more people to invest in video content purchases.

Ty Carriere

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
Yes I'll buy more. I had stopped and was really annoyed that I could only watch the movies I purchased through Microsoft on my Xbox machine or Windows and only when I was logged in. This meant that if my daughter was watching a movie on the home Xbox and I loved into another Xbox she got kicked out of watching the movie. Spent an hour on the phone for a tech to tell me, they couldn't do anything.
Now she can watch the movies through other apps. The movies and TV app does have awesome sales on movies so I liked buying through them when I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes