Is it possible to use a Surface Go/Pro as a Touch+Ink-supporting second monitor for a desktop PC?

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I've become incredibly frustrated that in spite of Microsoft's leadership with the Surface Studio, the only external monitor to support both touch + Ink is the Dell Canvas, currently at about $1,700. There are plenty of sub $500 touch only (Dell P2418HT) or Active-Pen-only (XP-Pen Artist series) monitors, but apparently nothing that supports both at anything close to that price range. If I'm wrong, great, please point me to it if there is one.

I can't justify $1,700 for the Dell Canvas as a non-essential accessory, but I'd happily spring up to $600, maybe as much as $700 on one. Sure, I'd love the 27" screen of the Canvas, but even much smaller would be fine too. It occurred to me that the Surface Go and even the low end Surface Pro M fit within that pricing target.

Is it possible to buy a Surface and just use it as a touchscreen and Inking monitor for a desktop PC? At that small size, it would not be my primary monitor. I have a 40" 4k screen for that. I just need a secondary screen for those operations where touch and Inking are the right solution without having to switch computers just to jot a note, sign a document, or play a touchscreen game. Any suggestions?

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Since posting that, I found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKJ6WP1?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3757928. At $159, it looks like a great deal. It's small at only 11.6". Still, if this exists, maybe there are more out there too.

I'm not sure what pen it supports. I have a couple from other Ink-supporting convertibles (HP and Asus). They work on each other's screens, so maybe they'll work with this too. If not, buying the pen would obviously be an added expense.

Still, I remain curious if possible to use a Surface as a screen for a desktop PC, preserving its touch and Ink capabilities for the desktop user.

James Vollbrecht

Jan 30, 2019
Visit site
Any luck w this? Hoping there's a way to use the sp4 I have gathering dust as a touch and pen input for my desktop... Curious if you found a way to get it done.

Cheers and Thx
J

Since posting that, I found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FKJ6WP1?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3772846. At $159, it looks like a great deal. It's small at only 11.6". Still, if this exists, maybe there are more out there too.

I'm not sure what pen it supports. I have a couple from other Ink-supporting convertibles (HP and Asus). They work on each other's screens, so maybe they'll work with this too. If not, buying the pen would obviously be an added expense.

Still, I remain curious if possible to use a Surface as a screen for a desktop PC, preserving its touch and Ink capabilities for the desktop user.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site

That looks like a great approach! Downsides: Surface computer must be on and running (not just the screen), and users who have done it (I have not tried yet) seem to be reporting higher pen and touch lag than you'd expect from a built-in or native display.

On the other hand, it looks like this may work for most modern touch-based PC's. So you could get up to a 15" (or larger if they exist) display with full pen and touch support as a 2nd or 3rd monitor. Excellent news!

In my case, when my convertible touch/pen laptop (HP x360 15") becomes too old, this looks like a good retirement path for it.

In the meantime, the display I listed in the original post has been working well for me as a small (10-11") external touch/pen display. But I'd sure like to go bigger.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
That looks like a great approach! Downsides: Surface computer must be on and running (not just the screen), and users who have done it (I have not tried yet) seem to be reporting higher pen and touch lag than you'd expect from a built-in or native display.

On the other hand, it looks like this may work for most modern touch-based PC's. So you could get up to a 15" (or larger if they exist) display with full pen and touch support as a 2nd or 3rd monitor. Excellent news!

In my case, when my convertible touch/pen laptop (HP x360 15") becomes too old, this looks like a good retirement path for it.

In the meantime, the display I listed in the original post has been working well for me as a small (10-11") external touch/pen display. But I'd sure like to go bigger.

Thanks for replying back. I'm glad that the link was useful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12