Legal content for plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMV83

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
Hey I would like to rebuild a movie collection but I don't want to buy DVDs or Blu rays.
I would love to set up a plex private cloud solution in my house. But I was wondering is there a way to legally source content and store it today? And of course use it through plex! I have been looking around and it seems I have to buy the Blu Ray and rip them and this defeats the purpose of having a plex server! Without talking about the time wasted and the ecological impact!
I'd love to see your alternatives... I'm all for buying my content but if you don't offer me a proper solution I'll be forced to go back to illegal download....

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
There are many legal sources for buying digital content, each phone platform has one, Google Play Movies or iTunes. Both should work via PC or Mac. Also there are 3rd party sources too, such as Vudu. You buy the movie, and then you own it and should be able to store it on a Plex server.

PS I do NOT want to start an ethical debate here, BUT there is also a legal theory, that if you once owned it you SHOULD be able to use it regardless of it's source. This is applied more on people using gaming emulators, and ROMs, BUT may apply to movies also. SO if you once bought it on DVD or even VHS, you might be within your rights to download it from a "grey" source via Plex or Kodi for example. DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a lawyer, and I do NOT give legal advice!

JMV83

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
To my knowledge you can't put your Google play or iTunes movies on plex... And that's the thing I don't want to buy a DVD and then DL a torrent...

Oh you won't have an ethical debate with me... I'm all to keep it legal but either you make it easy for me to have stuff where I want when I want how I want (if it's perfectly feasible) or I'll find my way and you won't have my money or less at least...

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
To my knowledge you can't put your Google play or iTunes movies on plex... And that's the thing I don't want to buy a DVD and then DL a torrent...

Oh you won't have an ethical debate with me... I'm all to keep it legal but either you make it easy for me to have stuff where I want when I want how I want (if it's perfectly feasible) or I'll find my way and you won't have my money or less at least...

Yea I hear ya! There are WAY too many "walled gardens" in the digital entertainment field! Hopefully things will change eventually. I did hear about a program/platform that shares among the digital platforms called Movies Anywhere, perhaps that can suit your needs?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Netflix allows you to download content and keep it offline. It may not be what you are looking for though. Unfortunately services like Netflix, Amazon Prime & Hulu won't work with Plex.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Netflix allows you to download content and keep it offline. It may not be what you are looking for though. Unfortunately services like Netflix, Amazon Prime & Hulu won't work with Plex.

If I was forced to choose only one streaming service, it would be Netflix. Great access to existing TV & Movies as well as arguably THE best original content!

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
If I was forced to choose only one streaming service, it would be Netflix. Great access to existing TV & Movies as well as arguably THE best original content!

I would have to agree with you there. Of course, in an ideal world, there would be one overall streaming service that we sign up for that gives us access to Netflix, Hulu, HBO etc. in one place. That will never happen though. Too much greed at stake.

JMV83

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
I already have Netflix, hulu+, Amazon premium.

Taht's not the issue. I want to build up a collection I don't mind paying each movie copies, and TV show sagas... But I want them digitally, I don't want to have to by each UHD disc's and rip them one by one... I want to have a digital copy period, don't even care about drm and not being able to transfer ownership... As long as it is uncompressed UHD audio and video that works with plex... That's all I'm asking....

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I already have Netflix, hulu+, Amazon premium.

Taht's not the issue. I want to build up a collection I don't mind paying each movie copies, and TV show sagas... But I want them digitally, I don't want to have to by each UHD disc's and rip them one by one... I want to have a digital copy period, don't even care about drm and not being able to transfer ownership... As long as it is uncompressed UHD audio and video that works with plex... That's all I'm asking....

I'm not sure that what you want to do is possible then. Mainly due to licensing and such. The funny thing is that you can easily do this by illegally downloading the content you want but you can't do it legally by spening money to do the same thing - the irony.

JMV83

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure that what you want to do is possible then. Mainly due to licensing and such. The funny thing is that you can easily do this by illegally downloading the content you want but you can't do it legally by spening money to do the same thing - the irony.

Exactly I'm trying to stay legit... I was all in in the game of Warez in the late 90's had a three bay CD burner... Astalavista. Co. UK private torrent and use net... But I'm reformed... I want to pay for quality content, now that I can afford it... But no they want me to go back to old habits... The irony like you said...

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Exactly I'm trying to stay legit... I was all in in the game of Warez in the late 90's had a three bay CD burner... Astalavista. Co. UK private torrent and use net... But I'm reformed... I want to pay for quality content, now that I can afford it... But no they want me to go back to old habits... The irony like you said...

Just get the legit stuff and get the rest by other means. It seems that is your only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes