Anyone been able to get Live Tiles on Square Home Working with MS Apps

Jules W

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Since Microsoft have signalled the end of support to Windows Mobile, with failing Apps expected later in the year, I am reluctantly having to look at replacing my faithful Lumia 650, with an Android alternative. I am experimenting with Squae Home 3 on my Nokia 6 Phone. Initially is looks pretty cool, and some of the Tile customisation better than WM. However I am really frustrated at the lack of real Live Tiles:
a) No News App Live Tile (configurable to MS to Google News)
b) Unable to Sync the Calendar Live Tile to my Outlook Calander (its stuck with Google)
c) Unable to sync the email Live Tile to my Outlook account (or to merge Outlook account into Gmail)
d) No Weather Live Tile
e) No Music Live Tile (aka the original Zune Live Tile being the best) against at least Google Music, if Groove is now dead.
f) No Health Live Tile (To sync calories/ steps against the Fitbit or similar)
g) No Assist Live App (At least to Google Assist, if Cortana consumer is now Dead)

Microsoft should really invest with the Square Home developers, as being a means one of the most attractive launchers into their own Microsoft Apps. If you are not on the Home Screen, your services are basically irrelevant.

Without More native Live Tiles, my Lumia 650 will remain my personal phone.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I tried to do this too, after moving to Android. But I never got on with it. Why try to reproduce W10M on a completely different platform? You will never get the same results that you are looking for. Instead, I just installed all MS apps on my Android device, including the MS launcher, and it all works fine for me.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I switched to android by and large but keep my Alcatel idol 4S to use every now and again mainly for the beautiful screen and live tiles.

Windows is buttery smooth compared to the best androids.

I switched to a Nokia 6 also last year and tried square home. Just didn't work well for me. Now i just use the Microsoft launcher like the poster above and all has been fine.

Upgraded to the Nokia 6.1 and it is a better experience than the first Nokia 6 with better scrolling and faster speeds on the 6.1.

If i have to do android it will be with Nokia . Like the plain stick android and the latest Nokia phones have gotten much better with pictures taking.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Not happening, to simplify things let's just say how live tiles work is deeply embedded in the phone o/s and in this case Google would need to add that functionality.

However in that case it would mean Google would have to pay Microsoft royalties to allow that functionality on android as you are talking about almost every single phone running android not just a handful... so I don't see that happening.

I just wish people would stop asking for android apps on Windows 10, it does not make any sense at all for Microsoft.

Why would you abandon every single thing done to unify the windows across many platforms just to give the control of all that to Google?

Not to mention the years and money spent on unifying the windows core...

So android apps on Windows 10 not happening.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Not happening, to simplify things let's just say how live tiles work is deeply embedded in the phone o/s and in this case Google would need to add that functionality.

However in that case it would mean Google would have to pay Microsoft royalties to allow that functionality on android as you are talking about almost every single phone running android not just a handful... so I don't see that happening.

I just wish people would stop asking for android apps on Windows 10, it does not make any sense at all for Microsoft.

Why would you abandon every single thing done to unify the windows across many platforms just to give the control of all that to Google?

Not to mention the years and money spent on unifying the windows core...

So android apps on Windows 10 not happening.

Exactly this. Sure, you may get Android launchers that try to replicate the live tiles of Windows Phone but it will never be better than what you get on an actual Windows Phone device.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I use launcher 10 and most Live Tiles work. I go back and forth between Microsoft Launcher and Launcher 10. For some reason, I miss the Live Tiles too much. Too may years on Windows phones, i guess...

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Screenshot_20190202-171849_Launcher 10.jpg

to add some detail to my answer: you are correct in saying that the Microsoft apps don't show up on the Android versions of Live Tiles; I too haven't figured out how to get them working. I use quite a few Samsung 'built in' apps with my S8+. You can see from my screenshot, my Samsung calendar displays updated info on the Live Tile; same with Samsung Health. I like many of Samsung's apps better than Google's. My first Windows phones were the Samsung ATIV S and ATIV SE. Loved these phones!! I guess that's maybe why I don't have the 'hate on' for Samsung like some people who came from the Nokia/Lumia side of the Windows mobile family...

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 140501

to add some detail to my answer: you are correct in saying that the Microsoft apps don't show up on the Android versions of Live Tiles; I too haven't figured out how to get them working. I use quite a few Samsung 'built in' apps with my S8+. You can see from my screenshot, my Samsung calendar displays updated info on the Live Tile; same with Samsung Health. I like many of Samsung's apps better than Google's. My first Windows phones were the Samsung ATIV S and ATIV SE. Loved these phones!! I guess that's maybe why I don't have the 'hate on' for Samsung like some people who came from the Nokia/Lumia side of the Windows mobile family...

Again, this highlights exactly why trying to replicate live tiles on Android isn't the best idea. It's ironic that MS's own Android apps don't work with this launcher. I guess that means that they have also give up on the whole live tile idea. A shame really. Live tiles were incredibly useful on Windows Phone/WM10 devices. I've grown used to not having them now on Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3