Is niche Microsoft's niche?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I guess this question isn't strictly limited to Dan but for anyone that's interested. How do you feel about Microsoft releasing products with seemingly no expectation of mass market success? They've released the Invoke, GLAS, and recently the Surface headphones all without a marketing push and with limited availability at retailers nationwide or worldwide. It seems Microsoft actually prefers to create products aimed at hardcore Microsoft enthusiasts as opposed to competing with Google or Amazon.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think that the price point is too high for the Microsoft products to be anything but niche, especially when compared to the prices of the Echo, Google Home, and Nest products.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I guess this question isn't strictly limited to Dan but for anyone that's interested. How do you feel about Microsoft releasing products with seemingly no expectation of mass market success? They've released the Invoke, GLAS, and recently the Surface headphones all without a marketing push and with limited availability at retailers nationwide or worldwide. It seems Microsoft actually prefers to create products aimed at hardcore Microsoft enthusiasts as opposed to competing with Google or Amazon.
This is a good observation. I'm no marketing expert but maybe they're trying to create a niche for themselves? I see more Surfaces everyday in the wild (i.e., Starbucks, coffee shops, etc.) They seem really exclusive. I dunno, but this is a good observation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes