Best tablet for Office 365

smccorm3

Nov 13, 2018
Visit site
Hi Dan!

For my work, I pretty much live in Office - Teams, SharePoint, To-Do and email.

I would like to get a tablet that can double as personal media consumption device and portable work device. Surface is an option. But if I wanted to choose between an iPad Pro and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, which would be best for running Office apps and getting work done?

Thanks

Scott

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Any Windows tablet or 2-in-1 will give you a better Office experience since you'll have access to download the full 365 suite so long as you're not in S Mode. The iPad, Android or Chromebook path will give you only the mobile versions of the Office apps. If you haven't tried the mobile versions yet, download them on your phone first and see if they cut the mustard for you before spending the money on an iPad Pro or Galaxy Tab.

gnirkatto

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
It depends.
In iOS, you can't do macros and other more sophisticated stuff in Office.
The iPad keyboards suck, compared to Surface keyboards.
Not having a pointing device sometimes makes working with Office on an iPad annoying.
In particular, I would not want to work on a PPT presentation on an iPad. Tried it on both the iPad (with and without keyboard) and a Surface. On Surface, its significantly more comfortable, speedy, accurate....
Also, Excel works much smoother with a mouse or touch pad.
etc.

If this doesn't bother you, and if your'e doing only very basic Office work, then you'll be fine with an iPad, and also benefit from it being superior to a Surface as a TABLET (which is mainly SW related).
I think the best way to describe this is "the more serious your Office work gets, the more unhappy an iPad will make you".
(I guess the same applies to an Android tablet, but I don't have expereiences with that).

smccorm3

Nov 13, 2018
Visit site
Thanks. Good to hear the experience of someone who has tried it.

The other way I am starting to think about this is - if you are a manager who is mainly reviewing presentations and spreadsheets created by others, then iOS might be fine. But if you spend a significant part of your job creating such files, there is no substitute for proper Office.

Interestingly, newer apps such as Teams seem to have a smaller gap between Windows and iOS. I have Teams loaded on my wife's iPad, in case I need to take care of work after hours. It's a good experience.

Thanks again.

Akshay M

Banned
Jan 2, 2020
Visit site
I’ve tried it on a PC and an 12.9-inch Apple iPad Pro but not yet an Android device…

When I find myself without relevant personal experience I often rely on what I consider to be creditable reviews like this one from CNet:

The Good Microsoft's Word, Excel and Powerpoint Android apps have all of the key Office features, seamless OneDrive cloud storage and a familiar design.

The Bad Select advanced features are only available with an Office 365 subscription. The layout is a bit cramped on Android phones.

The Bottom Line The Office Android apps are perfect for major and minor edits on the go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb