Hey,

Is it possible to disable drag & drop folders in windows explorer or make it more difficult to do so? (Windows 10)
    I ask this because I actually never use it intentionally (I prefer to just c&p folders), while it can happen unintentionally (especially with a touchscreen or with a touchpad) and than later on your are searching for folders only to find them 'missing'.
    02-18-2019 05:54 AM
    Impossible. It's built into Windows shell.
    02-18-2019 07:59 AM
    @ochhanz - use this registry hack to disable it.

1 - Open the Registry Editor app.

2 - Go to the following Registry key.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

3 - On the right, modify both DragHeight and DragWidth values and set them to a huge number of pixels for which to drag items before dropping them.

4- To make the changes done by the Registry tweak take effect, you need to sign out and sign in to your user account. Alternatively, you can restart the Explorer shell.
    ochhanz and ven07 like this.
    02-18-2019 08:43 AM
    @ochhanz - use this registry hack to disable it.

1 - Open the Registry Editor app.

2 - Go to the following Registry key.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

3 - On the right, modify both DragHeight and DragWidth values and set them to a huge number of pixels for which to drag items before dropping them.

4- To make the changes done by the Registry tweak take effect, you need to sign out and sign in to your user account. Alternatively, you can restart the Explorer shell.
    , thank you! It is probably not entirely perfect but I think this work good enough and it works on the desktop and in windows explorer. :)
    02-18-2019 11:36 AM
    , thank you! It is probably not entirely perfect but I think this work good enough and it works on the desktop and in windows explorer. :)
    Yes, sadly it won't be entirely perfect. But it should be enough. Glad it was useful!
    ven07 likes this.
    02-19-2019 07:01 AM