Newbie having trouble figuring out Asus VivoTab Smart

jrasicmark

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm having multiple problems, so I hope someone can help.
I got this tablet mostly as a convenient way to read e-books. I have them in many formats including epub, chm, Djvu, lit, PDF, CBR and CBZ, and Kindle's azw, even a couple of free Daisy recipe books I found. I got this tablet thinking I would be able to use all of the current software I use to read these files on my Windows XP desktop and my Windows 7 laptop, but so far, I can't get Calibre, ComicRack, or Adobe Digital Editions to download even in desktop mode (I get a message that says they won't work on this tablet).

I did find Kindle pre-installed, so that's great and it takes care of my Kindle books. I also found something called MyLibrary on there, but no information as to if it is an e-reader or what formats it can read and how to get the books on it?

I found Acrobat Reader and Nook and Free Books listed in the App Store (although I'm not sure if Nook can read any epubs, or if it has to be bought from Barnes & Noble? And I don't know how to get the books onto the Nook app). But I can't seem to download anything; I keep getting a message that my internet connection is too slow. I don't understand that, because I had no problem downloading all the apps it required to set it up when I first got it. I'm using my home internet cloud connection, not some public cloud that would have multiple users on it to slow things down. Any ideas on how to enable downloading again?
I thought I saw something on another thread about trying a re-boot to fix any problems, but how do you re-boot? I've tried to turn off the power button, but I'm not sure if that works because when I turn it on again, it's on exactly the same app or window I left it at.
I also saw a suggestion about updating something called BIOS; what is that and how do you update it?

I also Googled Windows 8 e-reader apps and I found a few others, including comic book readers that could handle my CBRs and CBZs, but I'll need to get my downloads working before I can try them!
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
You didn't do your research. Most of the programs you use on a regular Windows laptop won't work, this is a Windows RT device. Your best course of action is returning it, and if you absolutely must have a Windows tablet, get a Surface Pro. This will run any Windows program, yet may be too heavy and expensive for a single purpose.

For my ebook and e-comic needs, I use a Kindle Paperwhite (use Calibre to convert books to Kindle MOBI format and then just copy them over USB) for books and a Nexus 10 for comics. There are apps on Android that will easily handle all your ecomic needs.

Kiwi Dave

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
You didn't do your research. Most of the programs you use on a regular Windows laptop won't work, this is a Windows RT device. Your best course of action is returning it, and if you absolutely must have a Windows tablet, get a Surface Pro. This will run any Windows program, yet may be too heavy and expensive for a single purpose.

For my ebook and e-comic needs, I use a Kindle Paperwhite (use Calibre to convert books to Kindle MOBI format and then just copy them over USB) for books and a Nexus 10 for comics. There are apps on Android that will easily handle all your ecomic needs.
Funny, I did a bit of research and the Smart I purchased is a full windows device, not an RT.... Could be different in other parts of the world I guess..??

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

@ag1986 You should look closer before posting and saying they didn't do their research. Jrasicmark posted this question in a Asus VivoTab Smart forum, not Asus VivoTab RT forum. The Smart is running full Windows 8 on Atom processor and should run any Windows 7 program, I know because I have one. Now it is possible that Jrasicmark posted in the wrong forum.

Jrasicmark, can you please confirm if you bought the RT or Smart model?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon