Anyone tried putting windows 10 on one of these?

ausidog

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm running the most recent build of the Insider Preview on mine (Build 10122) and it's not too bad. It's pretty rough around the edges, plenty of crashes and runs relatively slow compared to Win8.1.

I doubt this is how the finished Win10 will run, it's just extra buggy at this point in the "beta". In fact, most of the slow-ness and bugs are in the "tablet mode" continuum feature. If I set it to "desktop mode" it's actually not too bad. Much faster and with slightly fewer bugs.

If this is your only tablet/computer, then you should wait longer or wait until the final version is released. If you can stand a little slowness and a few crashes/bugs, then jump on in... the water is fine. I'm not sure about rolling back, though. I suspect I would have to do a full reinstall if I want Win8.1 again. It's a particularly bad option considering that I'd probably lose the "Restore Partition" so that future refreshes/reinstalls/restores would be more aggravating. Oh, well. It's an old tablet and I'll probably get a new one (surface 3 looks pretty good, holding out for a future Surface 4) before I'd have to worry about crossing that bridge.

William Kendig

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I used Rufus to build a bootable thumb drive and installed 10162 last night. I formatted just the operating system partition and installed there so hopefully the factory restore will still work. Make sure you put the ASUS driver files on the thumb drive because Windows won't install a wifi driver. Also, you will need a USB hub with at least 3 connections for a keyboard/mouse/thumb drive. The touch wont work until you install the ASUS driver package.

Side note: I have tried 3 versions of ASUS Live Update and none find any updates though. I know for a fact there is an update to my firmware available but can't figure out how to install it outside of using Live Update.:sweaty:

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
offbeatbop...any suggestions on updating my firmware? ASUS live chat was no help.

If you can't find new firmware on their site it probably hasn't been published yet. When w10 is officially released Asus should publish firmware/drivers right on the site and make it a priority support issue. In other words the customer service reps will be briefed on all things W10 and if you ask about it after it goes rtm they'll know where to direct you.

Vivien R

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I had a few try. Tried with 10130, it was terribly slow, without the drivers it wasn't able to turn off the screen. After I installed the original drivers performance got bit better, but wasn't an option to remain on Win 10 CTP. Tried to revert to Windows 8.1 but it wasn't able to revert back, and wasn't able to boot up either. Used the recovery drive to restore the 8.0 image with the help of ImageX. Than had a bold thought and installed the 10162. Well it was even worst. Was slow and even with the driver package wasn't able to turn off the screen. Instantly ImageX to Win 8.0 than reinstall everything...
Seems Windows 10 isn't playing well with Vivotab Smart.

jwall550x

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I got a report from the "Get Windows app" that said that my Asus Vivotab Smart could not be upgraded to windows 10 because the Intel Graphics driver wasn't compatible. Which would explain a good reason to why the Windows 10 tech preview was so buggy. I reverted back to windows 8.1 and waited for the upgrade, so this news isn't good. Do you think Asus/Intel will update the drivers to Windows 10? or does my tablet have the same fate as Windows RT?

Kristijan87

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Since yesterday I have had Windows 10 downloaded but not installed as it suffered from that "update failed" thingy found in the Windows Update history. But the little icon next to the clock kept telling me everything should be ok since the PC is compatible. This morning, however, it's saying, too, that it is impossible to upgrade to 10 due to Intel GMA incompatibility. I strongly doubt, @jwall550x, that Asus will do anything. Microsoft or Intel might. Asus has ceased to support this tablet a long time ago. Even the LiveUpdate app is not working, there haven't been any new driver packages in ages...

EDIT: after tweeting Intel the processor model number and asking if and when Windows 10 compatible drivers will be released, they've told me "very soon!". That actually goes against what Intel already stated about the older chipsets (i.e. that they won't support it further...). I guess we should sit tight and wait for whatever happens. Btw, that Intel Driver Utility (the official one) is useless.​

Last edited:

origamihero

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Some forums say the graphics driver for the PowerVR SGX545 aka the Intel GMA isn't working on Windows 10. Does installing the ASUS driver package work well enough for the device?

Kristijan87

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi, here's a solution that might work. It work for some guy on Twitter who told me so, I tried and worked for me too...

Anyway, go here and download the 32-bit Media Creation Tool on your tablet. Now, I have a USB stick that has micro-USB so I was able to plug it into my VivoTab and create a Windows 10 installation USB.

I could have chosen to do the upgrade immediately (i.e. skip creating USB installation drive) but I tried and download was often broken then. So I made the USB.

I used that USB to upgrade Windows. It didn't complain about GMA. The display is working ok, it switches off completely (backlight too, unlike on preview builds, due to incompatible display drivers!) and brightness settings work as well (didn't on preview).

The only problem was... Broadcom wireless drivers were not installed properly! So no internet. I tried installing various drivers from other OEMs (but the same Broadcom chip). Nothing. Then I decided to uninstall the device and drivers using Device Manager (there was a huge exclamation mark there). Didn't bother with reboot, but rescanned for hardware changes from Device Manager. Boom, found Broadcom wireless SDIO adapter, installed the right drivers and gave me internet.

Are there problems? Yes. Sometimes there's text missing in Edge (in tabs and elsewhere). Text is completely missing from taskbar jumplists. Annoying. The dude from Twitter claims some text is missing from Cortana too. Other than that, it works ok, it's probably a few percent slower than on 8.1 but hey. It's barely noticeable. There is some stuttering when returning to Start Screen when in Tablet Mode, but it's minor and not a problem (for me at least).

Jan Thorud

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I just successfully ran the media creation tool.
Downloading direct and installing on my ASUS vivotab Smart that also got the "Intel Grafix Not compatible message" .
I directly upgrading with existing software. All went without problems.
At least for now :excited:

I have photos of the event if anyone is interested. All is in Danish but I will translate if needed.

FubarCoder

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I tried to use Windows 10 on my ME400C and at fist it seemed to work quite well after the installation of the 8.1 drivers. But when I tried to use the Word tablet app, the app and sometimes even the whole Windows became unresponsive (I even got a blue screen once).

TL/DR: Don't upgrade to Windows 10 unless Microsoft or Intel are releasing a better GMA 3600/3650 driver.

origamihero

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Pretty much the above, yeah. Tried it, too. Windows 10 itself runs well enough, but it'll use the standard Windows driver which is slow, doesn't have good 3d support and so on. Couldn't get a brightness slider either coz' it thinks the tablet is a normal monitor.

Andy j Kelly

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Works fine for me, the intel drivers are not loading but my display is running fine. am sure intel will update these soon. Windows 10 did run a little slow to start with but after 1 week all has settled down and everything runs fine including touch screen, sound and so on. Windows 10 is still in its early stages so a few bugs are to be expected but so far its all good.

Michael Charles11

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
My Asus Vivotab Smart runs very nice on windows 8.1. Tried installing windows 10 and got the message that it cannot run windows 10 because the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator does not support windows 10. Tried to update the system by installing the Intel tool for updating the software. No update was found for the unit. It said that the display manufacturer has not made the display to be compatible with windows 10. So I guess I am stuck with windows 8.1.

David Gibbard

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.
Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
It should exist, but if not, create it.
Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.
Once the registry key is modified, close and reopen the desktop Control Panel, go to Windows Update and check for updates. You should now be able to click the Get Started button to upgrade to Windows 10. Note: Windows 8.1 users must go to the desktop Control Panel, and not the modern Windows Update UI.”

I also deleted the status section here as i had also tried to update with the media creation tool.

I am now running an Asus vivotab smart with no problem.(atom z2700 with Intel GMA)

kicjesus

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Many thanks for the info, just followed your instructions and now have Asus VivoTab Smart - Z2760 Atom CPU, running Windows 10.
NB. Have a Desk Top and an Acer Aspire Laptop, no problem running Windows 10 with them, but then they are AMD and do not have "Intel Inside" - Thankfully !!!

Onlytim

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
David, your HKEYRegistry edit addition worked like a charm! The 8.1 to 10 upgrade went smoothly though it took over two hours. If figured it was due to i being a 32 bit system. Everything went well with nothing else required or missing! Thanks for the heads up!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism