BING sucks everywhere except america

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a uk windows phone and when i went on bing, all that was there was a picture, search and scout, music and vision but when I changed the region to usa, bing became amazing. You could swipe the screen and see news, popular videos and deals around my area (yes they put deals that were in the uk surprisingly) and I could add these deals to Groupon and my wallet. Seriously, why isn't bing like this in other countries, it's one of the best features ever (in America)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Bing is fine here in the UK, sure we miss out on some things but sometimes those are US only anyway. The fact it brings up UK deals is for Americans who are travelling to the UK.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Bing is fine here in the UK, sure we miss out on some things but sometimes those are US only anyway. The fact it brings up UK deals is for Americans who are travelling to the UK.
that's true but it doesn't explain why we don't have news and videos built in like in America

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
that's true but it doesn't explain why we don't have news and videos built in like in America

Videos is a section in Bing search, but it depends what you search for as is News which is included in Web search results.

News doesn't need a separate section in Bing search as the Bing News app is available.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Videos is a section in Bing search, but it depends what you search for as is News which is included in Web search results.

News doesn't need a separate section in Bing search as the Bing News app is available.
Yeah but its more convenient to have all these functions in one button.

lpforthewin

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Not entirely sure if you've seen the difference neo158.
The videos and news are completely he's talking about are completely different features.
If you have the US set as your browser region, pressing the search button lets you scroll panorama style from the search home screen to trending videos to trending news to trending films in cinemas to local deals.
Whether the uk deals are for Americans travelling to the uk is irrelevant - the deals work in the uk and mean that the wallet app actually has a function outside of storing your payment details in the uk.
Seeing trending news is a basic feature that could easily provide uk news and trending videos are basically identical between the uk and us.
All of these features could be enabled for the uk version.
Additionally the results for uk bing don't compare to the us version. Microsoft is seriously underselling itself here especially considering bringing feature parity to the uk would be a job that even a basic intern could complete in a month!

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
The videos and news are completely he's talking about are completely different features.
If you have the US set as your browser region, pressing the search button lets you scroll panorama style from the search home screen to trending videos to trending news to trending films in cinemas to local deals.
Whether the uk deals are for Americans travelling to the uk is irrelevant - the deals work in the uk and mean that the wallet app actually has a function outside of storing your payment details in the uk.
Seeing trending news is a basic feature that could easily provide uk news and trending videos are basically identical between the uk and us.
Additionally the results for uk bing don't compare to the us version. Microsoft is seriously underselling itself here especially considering bringing feature parity to the uk would be a job that even a basic intern could complete in a month!
Yeah, its annoying. We speak English too, what makes it so hard to do if this can be done in windows 8 in uk?

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It sucks here in Germany too. E.g. when I search for a person it shows just search results. If I change to US I get much more information about this person. Why is this after so long time not possible for MS to extend it to other countries? Is it just ignorance? Google can do it, so why not MS and why we should use Bing here if they ignore us?

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I don't know where you live but videos are a separate section within bing search and news is included in web search but it depends what you search for. The trending section is indeed US only and could certainly be made available here.

The deals comment is totally relevant, unless you're stating that US users can't add deals to the wallet, and use them when they are here in the UK?

The wallet has the same functions in the UK as well, the GAME app can add deals to the wallet as can the vouchercodes.co.uk app, so your point is?

lpforthewin

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the uk. If i set my browser region to us and press the search button on my phone I'm presented with bing image of the day and the search field. I can swipe left and right to scroll through trending videos, news, local deals, films and local events.
If i set my browser region to the uk i can't scroll. This is without entering any search term - so searching for a video or news story and being able to scroll panorama style through the results is different - i can do that yes.
My point is with browser region as us i see trending deals and events relevant to the uk so this could easily be enabled for the uk region!

With regards to the deals I'm saying the local deals shown after pressing the search key and before searching are for my area in the uk so this again could be included with the uk as the browser region. But yes, those two apps fo tie into the wallet - as does groupon i believe so you're right it's not completely useless with the uk settings.
And i see that the uk deals are for Americans travelling in the ul but they should be there for people living here too as there's no point disabling them.

I hope that clears up my points a bit - i think we're on the same page

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon