06-16-2014 05:16 PM
51 123
tools
    That's why I stay in the shadows, fly under the radar, never contact Microsoft they'll find dirt on you. Lol, but that really sucks man I hope it ends well for you and your wife
    DatManWolf likes this.
    05-22-2014 09:44 PM
    OP, you've spent a lot of time on this and I understand. Getting penalized without cause sucks.

If you want to take it further, I'd send an email to Satya Nadella. Calmly explain the situation without getting venomous.
    Explain that you are a loyal MS customer and feel cheated, but don't make threats to leave MS. If it reaches his office, I'd bet someone contacts you within 48 hours.
    DatManWolf and xandros9 like this.
    05-22-2014 09:55 PM
    Quick googling for his e-mail turned up nothing, if you happen to point me to it, I would appreciate it.
    05-23-2014 09:31 AM
    05-23-2014 10:06 AM
    Quick googling for his e-mail turned up nothing, if you happen to point me to it, I would appreciate it.
    I'm not sure how much you value your time at... But I'd be willing to guess your time is worth more than how much you've spent doing all of this.

You're better off letting by-gones be by-gones. You violated the ToS. Deal with the consequences and quit wasting your time.
    sejgiul and BobLobIaw like this.
    05-23-2014 10:15 AM
    "I have 3 accounts for everyone in my house" - this clearly reads as though each of your family members has 3 accounts. Your English appears to be decent enough for the rest, so why does this sentence not make sense?

I think the reason your account got suspended is due to running more accounts than allowed in one household (9 if I'm correct). It's pretty easy setting up an Outlook account, and judging from their responses this is exactly what you have done. They wouldn't suspend your account for the fun of it.
    05-23-2014 10:42 AM
    Also,op, they mentioned that cached searches violates tos. You mentioned that you saved some of your searches. Could they interpret this as a violation (a type of caching)? Next, how many Microsoft accounts are in your household? Even if you didn't use some of the accounts for Bing rewards, if you unintentionally searched with more than 5 accounts, or more than 1 account per person, then you've violated tos. So, in other words, you have to have 5 ppl in your house to be within tos if you created 5 accounts. Lastly, if there is a number search bot that is identical to your searches then there's no way to prove your searches were bot-free.
    05-23-2014 11:13 AM
    I don't understand what's going on here.

OP violated the ToS. The ban is legit

You said that you and your wife would just search for numbers over and over again, in sequence, just to make up your daily maximum rewards. That's clear abuse of the system.
    05-23-2014 03:03 PM
    You said that you and your wife would just search for numbers over and over again, in sequence, just to make up your daily maximum rewards. That's clear abuse of the system.
    I disagree. The TOS does not say that you cannot repeatedly enter the same search terms. It says:
    How You May Not Use the Program
    You must not at any time use the Program to harm others, or the Program. For example, you may not:
    engage in, facilitate or further unlawful conduct;
    use the Program in a way that harms us or our advertisers, affiliates, resellers, distributors and/or vendors, or any customer of ours or our advertisers, affiliates, resellers, distributors and/or vendors;
    use any automated process or service to access and/or use the Program (such as a BOT, a spider, periodic caching of information stored by Microsoft, or "meta-searching");
    use any unauthorized means to modify or reroute, or attempt to modify or reroute, the Program;
    damage, disable, overburden, or impair the Program (or the network(s) connected to the Program) or interfere with anyone's use and enjoyment of the Program; or
    resell or redistribute the Program, or any part of the Program
    While some may disagree with the OP entering the same search terms repeatedly, that is a subjective claim, and is open to interpretation. The TOS, being a legally-binding contract, is not subject to such open interpretation. It was written by lawyers who knew what they were doing. What the OP was doing, practically speaking, is no different than what I do. I click on the popular bing searches (the row of pictures) repeatedly, at the end of the day, until I get my max points. He's typing manually, I'm clicking. Technically speaking there's really no difference in what we're doing. But since the popular searches change regularly, my activity has not been flagged as being from a bot. He was apparently (by his own words) doing the same thing day after day, so the system decided it was a bot. Microsoft doesn't say you have to be searching for something that you're legitimately interested in. Here's what it says:
    Microsoft will determine what constitutes a search (hereinafter Search). A Search is the act of an individual user manually entering text for the good faith purpose of obtaining results for such users own research purpose, as determined by Microsoft. A Search does not include any query entered by a bot, macro, or other automated or fraudulent means of any kind.
    So if you want to get technical, it appears that the points I get for clicking the popular searches shouldn't even count. That's their fault - they're giving me points for searching on links that they provide, though their own contract says that that doesn't constitute a search. I'm not going to get upset about it, though. If they take it away, they take it away. I was using Bing before the rewards program, and I'll use it after. I'm happy for what I get while I get it.

BTW - for now at least, I'm getting 40 points a day, and 70 on Tuesdays (for this month - double the desktop search points on Tuesday - doesn't double on mobile). I'll keep it up until someone says no go. Someone with the power to cut me off.
    BobLobIaw and DatManWolf like this.
    05-23-2014 09:33 PM
    "I have 3 accounts for everyone in my house" - this clearly reads as though each of your family members has 3 accounts. Your English appears to be decent enough for the rest, so why does this sentence not make sense?

I think the reason your account got suspended is due to running more accounts than allowed in one household (9 if I'm correct). It's pretty easy setting up an Outlook account, and judging from their responses this is exactly what you have done. They wouldn't suspend your account for the fun of it.
    3 accounts total. 1 for each person.
    05-27-2014 12:45 PM
    I'm not sure how much you value your time at... But I'd be willing to guess your time is worth more than how much you've spent doing all of this.

You're better off letting by-gones be by-gones. You violated the ToS. Deal with the consequences and quit wasting your time.
    I did not violate the ToS according to the ToS and had you read anything in this thread you would know that. I do value my time. I value the time and effort I put into earning points on their site. So why would I not pursue the issue. So anytime it is a hassle over an issue of being screwed, I should just say f it?
    05-27-2014 12:48 PM
    I don't understand what's going on here.

OP violated the ToS. The ban is legit

Obviously you don't understand what is going on here.

I did not violate the ToS based upon what is written in the ToS. Nothing I did shows as a violation of their written rules, so it is not clear abuse of the system. Had it been CLEAR abuse of the system, then my account would have been banned as well because we did the exact same thing. So, they are taking a stand on one end and ignoring it on the other. Doesn't seem to be very clear, does it?
    05-27-2014 12:51 PM
    I did not violate the ToS according to the ToS and had you read anything in this thread you would know that. I do value my time. I value the time and effort I put into earning points on their site. So why would I not pursue the issue. So anytime it is a hassle over an issue of being screwed, I should just say f it?
    If you don't already know them, look up two basic economic terms and they will answer your question. 1.) Opportunity cost. 2.) Sunk cost.
    05-28-2014 06:05 AM
    If you don't already know them, look up two basic economic terms and they will answer your question. 1.) Opportunity cost. 2.) Sunk cost.
    Well, it cost my wife 8 or so months to earn 3k+ worth of bing points. I've been dealing with this for close to 2 months. Most of that time has been waiting on responses. So, all in all, I haven't wasted much time on this. At this point, I really don't expect to get those points back or her account re-instated, but I won't be satisfied until I have exhausted all options to try and do so. I guess it's the principle of it.

Also, MazoMark's recommendation also got me results faster than anything else. Microsoft Customer Advocacy has now contacted me and is looking into the situation. They said I should hear something next week.
    05-29-2014 01:15 PM
    Customer Advocacy says there is nothing they can do.

At this point, I am done. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Back to Google I go.
    06-03-2014 04:18 PM
    Customer Advocacy says there is nothing they can do.

At this point, I am done. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Back to Google I go.
    So were you using what you considered to be an inferior product just to get rewards? Or were you just inputting fifteen searches a day to get freebies?
    06-03-2014 04:24 PM
    I think you should just be happy all your accounts not been blocked. You obviously took advantage of the system by having a total of 9 accounts between the 3 of you. So why not just be happy with the FREE stuff you have already received and get on with your life and stop whining about it. Seems u did quite well out of it for a whole.
    MikeSo likes this.
    06-03-2014 04:46 PM
    I think you should just be happy all your accounts not been blocked. You obviously took advantage of the system by having a total of 9 accounts between the 3 of you. So why not just be happy with the FREE stuff you have already received and get on with your life and stop whining about it. Seems u did quite well out of it for a whole.
    Way to pay attention. 3 accounts TOTAL. 1 per person. I did not take advantage of the system. But thanks for taking time out of your day.
    xxcorpxx likes this.
    06-03-2014 04:48 PM
    So were you using what you considered to be an inferior product just to get rewards? Or were you just inputting fifteen searches a day to get freebies?
    We were using Bing because it provided us the opportunity to get rewards. We were able to turn these rewards into apps for our WP and games for our Xbox.
    06-03-2014 04:52 PM
    We were using Bing because it provided us the opportunity to get rewards. We were able to turn these rewards into apps for our WP and games for our Xbox.
    Don't get me wrong, I would be bummed if that had happened to me. That being said, the program is really designed to be a reward for Bing users and not a program to get Google users to make 30 phony searches a day and pay them for it. I'd say if you are going to go back to Google you should be happy to be able to return to your preferred search engine. They aren't giving you any better of a deal than Bing is. To be honest, if you had just used Bing normally instead of trying to max the rewards you wouldn't have encountered this problem. Good luck!
    06-03-2014 05:02 PM
    This is the most pathetic extreme couponing I've ever seen.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    06-03-2014 05:15 PM
    This is the most pathetic extreme couponing I've ever seen.
    This is the most pathetic attempt at an insult I've ever seen.
    06-04-2014 08:54 AM
    Don't get me wrong, I would be bummed if that had happened to me. That being said, the program is really designed to be a reward for Bing users and not a program to get Google users to make 30 phony searches a day and pay them for it. I'd say if you are going to go back to Google you should be happy to be able to return to your preferred search engine. They aren't giving you any better of a deal than Bing is. To be honest, if you had just used Bing normally instead of trying to max the rewards you wouldn't have encountered this problem. Good luck!
    Bing was my main search engine. I never said I was a Google user making phony searches, where are you making these assumptions? Because I said I was going back to Google? There is now no advantage in Bing's favor, plus going through this stupid issue, makes me not want to use it anymore.
    06-04-2014 09:00 AM
    Bing was my main search engine. I never said I was a Google user making phony searches, where are you making these assumptions? Because I said I was going back to Google? There is now no advantage in Bing's favor, plus going through this stupid issue, makes me not want to use it anymore.
    If you are switching from Bing to Google over this, I question your motivations. Like I said, this is a reward program for Bing users. You aren't really a Bing user--you were obviously only in it for the rewards. Call it karma if you want. Anyway, best of luck.
    06-04-2014 10:55 AM
    If you are switching from Bing to Google over this, I question your motivations. Like I said, this is a reward program for Bing users. You aren't really a Bing user--you were obviously only in it for the rewards. Call it karma if you want. Anyway, best of luck.
    What difference does it make to Microsoft? It's rewards for using Bing. They shouldn't care whether or not you're using it for that reason. That's precisely why they have the reward system; to encourage people to use Bing. I'm sure if they could eliminate the rewards for people who would use Bing anyway, they would.
    DatManWolf likes this.
    06-04-2014 11:23 AM
51 123