BLU win HD vs Nokia Lumia 635?

joeyxl

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

So had a 635 for about 2 weeks now and its a great device. This phone (BLU) though has a screen in my range and a front facing camera.

I'm looking to grab one this week, but I'm concerned with the snapdragon 200 and the screen. The lag that reviewers talk about, is it that bad? They talk about how its a bit sluggish when swiping up and down viewing tiles

Marquis de Faux

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The screen is quite good. The swiping up and down is fine, but it does seem less smooth than the 635.
The biggest problem with this phone is that the back camera is absolute crap, worse than the 635.

joeyxl

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
The screen is quite good. The swiping up and down is fine, but it does seem less smooth than the 635.
The biggest problem with this phone is that the back camera is absolute crap, worse than the 635.

What i have heard is its not that bad. And I don't need amazing results. It is entry level device so I'm not expecting much. Just a better screen and a ffc

Marquis de Faux

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
What i have heard is its not that bad. And I don't need amazing results. It is entry level device so I'm not expecting much. Just a better screen and a ffc
I would say go for it then. The PhoneDog review says the camera is quite bad though, and it is stuck in a 4:3 resolution that you can't change. The screen is definately a lot better.
Also consider that the device will not play HD video, and as reported by other users, HD videos will lag/play only the audio.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
My cousin just showed me his Blue win HD which be bought for 180. The screen is good, and not pixelled like ,635. and photos are of decent quality. You should go for Blue but you'll miss Nokia apps and support.

J-Caum

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
The Nokia apps - Here Drive and Maps are available on the store, from what I've heard, so you don't really lose much between Nokia and this. I'm a Nokia fan and have been since Symbian, but this device is hands-down better

Yes, lesser processor as Lumia 635 at a higher resolution... lag would be an issue.

- Blu Win HD has...
- ... screen size of 5"
- ... HD screen
- ... front-facing camera, and 2MP at that.
- ... ambient light sensor (635 does not)
- ... proximity sensor (The 635 does not - it turns off the screen when on a call by sensing if your face is touching the screen. This is really annoying to me because I don't place my face against the glass normally. I hold it an angle with my ear on the earpiece and off my face. If you're not careful your face could be punching buttons, ending the call, placing them on hold, etc as that is what had happened with me.)

The biggest con to the Win HD I can see is the slight lag with the higher resolution with a lesser processor than the 635 and that lack of Gorilla Glass as it can pick up finger prints, glare, much more. I know of coatings you can put on the phone to remove this from being a factor, but the screen at least has to be glass to allow those coats to apply to it and become effective. I'm not sure if it is glass because I can't find anybody confirming what the screen materials are (plastic, glass, etc).

Otherwise, it appears that Blu is giving Nokia a run for their (Microsoft's) money.

chidoro42

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up a blu win jr for $89 unlocked. I felt it too was a better deal than the 635 as well. Blu also has a lot of pack-ins with the box. He'll a screen protector was on the phone out of the box

J-Caum

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up a blu win jr for $89 unlocked. I felt it too was a better deal than the 635 as well. Blu also has a lot of pack-ins with the box. He'll a screen protector was on the phone out of the box

I purchased and received the Win HD last week and I must say the phone is fantastic.

Notes:
Ambient light sensor does not work well in bright light (the sun) but when changing the brightness profile to high it works great. The screen protector really interferes with touch responsiveness. A LOT. Almost every word I've typed had to be fixed here because of the protector I just reapplied (the second one).

Battery life rocks! Way better than any Android I've had. Reminiscent of the Blackberry battery life.

Touch responsiveness gets bad when charging too. Especially when the screen gets hot. It isn't glass, it is a type of plastic. Good quality, but not Gorilla Glass. Keeps the price low so... I'm good.

The case included stops some USB cables from plugging in all the way, so keep that in mind if using a charger you already own.

The phone is compatible with the latest developer updates (after enrolling for it).

No compass

CPU adds some lag when scrolling; 720p is a little too high for it. If given the choice, I would have preferred lower PPI and resolution than have to see lag. You get used to it, but I don't appreciate HD compared to performance.

chidoro42

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the jr is just 480x800. At that resolution, even asphalt 8 is playable. Just takes a bit of time for apps to launch. I can even run the mobile AoE game on it w/out trouble. Haven't really had too much trouble typing on it. It's not perfect, but MS has a pretty good stock keyboard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon