Do you tether?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Whether you're grandfathered in or it's part of your data package, do you tether on a regular basis?

I recently got back from vacation in Florida and I was surprised at how often I needed to tether my phone to my tablet. I only have the 1GB mobile share on AT&T (lame, I know) so I have to be careful about streaming video. Still managed to squeeze in a few hours of web browsing and only managed to blow through 400MBs of data. Tethering came in real handy at the hotel because they wanted to charge me $25 to use their wifi. Plus 3 out of the 4 cities I stayed in had LTE (the other had 4G).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
No, because I have WiFi at the places where I take my laptops. I haven't stayed in a hotel in a long time, but the last one I stayed at had free WiFi.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I do quite often when on the run with, mostly for the Surface, occasionally for a laptop.

Luckily here in Finland tethering isnt restricted by any carrier afaik and most data plans here are unlimited, but limited in speed. (the more you pay, the faster mobile net you get, no traffic limitations).

Sadly our office at this time doesn't have Wifi for some unexplainable reason, but just ethernet cables attached to the fixed workstations, so that's where I tether quite often.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
.....Tethering came in real handy at the hotel because they wanted to charge me $25 to use their wifi.... .

I hope you told them straight to their face that $25 was a ripoff. I've read about hotels charging $10 a day, but $25 is outrageous.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I used to tether back when I was on Three, but whenever I switch on Internet Sharing on my phone now that I'm with T-Mobile, I inexplicably lose internet connectivity on my phone within about 3 seconds... it then takes like 2 minutes to get it back after switching it off...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I tether every day. I'm on jobsites all the time where there is usually no wifi access so my tablet is constantly sucking my data plan. Email is the biggest culprit so I'm fine with BT DUN and its 3G speeds. Since it's client-initiated, the phone stays in the holster.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I tether when the wifi is really slow, but I always make sure I have my phone plugged in when I do because it kills the battery on my L920

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon