12-31-2013 03:05 AM
28 12
tools
    Sprint preparing to bid for T-Mobile: Report

Sprint is mulling a possible bid for rival wireless provider T-Mobile, a move that could leave the U.S. wireless market dominated by three mega-companies, The Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

Sprint could launch a bid as early as the first half of next year, the report said citing people familiar with the matter.

The company is reportedly studying regulatory concerns before moving forward. Placing a bid despite regulators' concerns would be risky, and a bad reaction could put an end to the effort.

A deal between the third- and fourth-largest U.S. carriers could be worth more than $20 billion.

Sprint shares rose 10 percent in after-hours trading, while T-Mobile shares dipped 1.2 percent.

Sprint declined to comment to CNBC.
    palandri likes this.
    12-13-2013 05:39 PM
    I think it's a bad idea. Sprint already lost a lot of money, resources and customers in its Nextel acquisition. What benefit is there for Sprint to acquire another carrier with incompatible network technology?
    12-13-2013 06:13 PM
    I think it's a bad idea. Sprint already lost a lot of money, resources and customers in its Nextel acquisition. What benefit is there for Sprint to acquire another carrier with incompatible network technology?
    Spectrum & subscribers. CDMA is dying a slow death, IMO.
    12-13-2013 08:32 PM
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Mama Mia mama Mia
    12-13-2013 08:56 PM
    12-13-2013 11:25 PM
    *rolls eyes*

I have nothing against Sprint, but they need to just mind their own business and let T-Mobile be. T-Mo has been doing a lot better since going with the whole UNcarrier thing and doing away with contracts.
    palandri likes this.
    12-14-2013 11:26 AM
    Att weren't allowed to buy Tmo for competitive reasons, can't see sprint being given the go ahead either. You can be sure though that att will oppose any such deal if it ever does get put on the table.
    palandri and metalchick719 like this.
    12-14-2013 11:51 AM
    Att weren't allowed to buy Tmo for competitive reasons, can't see sprint being given the go ahead either. You can be sure though that att will oppose any such deal if it ever does get put on the table.
    Sprint is a lot smaller than AT&T. Even if they acquire T-Mobile they'll still be smaller. So it's doubtful that ilauch a merger would be stopped because of "competitive reasons."
    12-14-2013 12:26 PM
    One other reason given was that att buying tmo would reduce consumer choice and that would also apply here, 3 carriers instead of 4. Not going to fly.
    palandri and metalchick719 like this.
    12-14-2013 01:11 PM
    LOL Sprint has no money to bid for anything. How can companies do this, but normal people can't?
    12-21-2013 09:56 PM
    What do you mean "Sprint has no money"? Sprint was bought out last year. A Chinese company owns them, and they have plenty money.
    12-21-2013 10:06 PM
    What do you mean "Sprint has no money"? Sprint was bought out last year. A Chinese company owns them, and they have plenty money.
    Japanese.
    WanderingTraveler likes this.
    12-22-2013 12:21 PM
    12-27-2013 01:55 PM
    Aren't Sprint and T-Mobile two of the worst supporters of Windows Phone... :/
    12-27-2013 10:16 PM
    Aren't Sprint and T-Mobile two of the worst supporters of Windows Phone... :/
    I don't know about Sprint but T-Mo has single-handedly blown WP8 sales figures out of the park with the inexpensive Lumia 521. I'd say MS owes TMO one.
    12-27-2013 11:12 PM
    One other reason given was that att buying tmo would reduce consumer choice and that would also apply here, 3 carriers instead of 4. Not going to fly.
    The difference here is the two lower tier mobile providers would combine, giving people less choice buy better choices. AT&T buying Tmobile would have put them in a position to monopolize the market, raise prices and put sprint out of business. Softbank (sprint) buying Tmobile would put them inline between VZW, and AT&T, and if they price right, this can be a strong 3 runner race, but noone will be in a position to monopolize.
    12-28-2013 01:51 AM
    well I might have a different op but I kinda see it as a good thing because well for one better coverage and also I know sprint has more spectrum than the other 3 carriers. sure its higher frequncey but still has more spectrum :) . but also how do we know that they will shut down tmobile and merge it with sprint? they could do the other way around shut down sprint and keep T-Mobile
    12-30-2013 12:08 AM
    well I might have a different op but I kinda see it as a good thing because well for one better coverage and also I know sprint has more spectrum than the other 3 carriers. sure its higher frequncey but still has more spectrum :) . but also how do we know that they will shut down tmobile and merge it with sprint? they could do the other way around shut down sprint and keep T-Mobile
    If Softbank/Sprint is the buyer they will either merge into Sprint, or rename for a New Gen carrier. This will be interesting if it happens, I hope it does because I wanna see how they merge the two incompatible spectrums. I'm really interested.
    12-30-2013 12:38 AM
    If Softbank/Sprint is the buyer they will either merge into Sprint, or rename for a New Gen carrier. This will be interesting if it happens, I hope it does because I wanna see how they merge the two incompatible spectrums. I'm really interested.
    im pretty sure they have the money I mean if soft bank had the money to buy sprint and consider buying T-Mobile well im pretty sure they have the money to make it work ...if not well im still interested :D
    12-30-2013 01:35 AM
    im pretty sure they have the money I mean if soft bank had the money to buy sprint and consider buying T-Mobile well im pretty sure they have the money to make it work ...if not well im still interested :D
    Oh I know they have the money to MAKE it work, but paying for something that's difficult to work will hurt them, I'm looking for them to make a technological investment to see the outcome that will change the way us and future mobile carriers use the spectrum. Who knows, the guy from Softbank might have no interest in merging them and might just build upon both them to make money from 1/3 the carrier game in the US.
    sahib lopez likes this.
    12-30-2013 02:03 AM
    Oh I know they have the money to MAKE it work, but paying for something that's difficult to work will hurt them, I'm looking for them to make a technological investment to see the outcome that will change the way us and future mobile carriers use the spectrum. Who knows, the guy from Softbank might have no interest in merging them and might just build upon both them to make money from 1/3 the carrier game in the US.
    that's a possibility. a possibility that most T-Mobile subs people might like
    12-30-2013 12:22 PM
    I really still don't see this happening. But if by some chance it does, I'll be looking for a new carrier. I would say Simple Mobile, but that one runs on T-Mobile and could be affected if this thing ends up going through. Still, I don't see the DOJ or FCC approving it.
    12-30-2013 03:31 PM
    A "good thing?" A friend of mine has Sprint and hates it. He has good reason, too - he gets basically no service in his house! Sprint needs to stay far away from T-Mobile. T-Mobile's been doing quite well ever since the UNcarrier thing anyway.
    12-30-2013 03:33 PM
    A "good thing?" A friend of mine has Sprint and hates it. He has good reason, too - he gets basically no service in his house! Sprint needs to stay far away from T-Mobile. T-Mobile's been doing quite well ever since the UNcarrier thing anyway.
    well in my experience my father has sprint and when im looking at his phone he has 3g everywhere he goes. while on T-Mobile i only get 2g most of the time UNLESS i travel 20 min north, east,south and west. and i live next to a major high way in Cali.. i like T-Mobile because it has coverage to the places i go to, but sprint has coverage where i live and almost to the places i go to. im just stating the superficial benefits if it were to happen. im not saying it will happen but good things could come out of it
    12-30-2013 06:12 PM
    I really still don't see this happening. But if by some chance it does, I'll be looking for a new carrier. I would say Simple Mobile, but that one runs on T-Mobile and could be affected if this thing ends up going through. Still, I don't see the DOJ or FCC approving it.
    i don't think it could happen anyways because the DOJ and the FCC want 4 major carriers in the US
    12-30-2013 06:12 PM
28 12