My experience with switching to T-Mobile

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
After hearing about T-Mobile's uncarrier plan I thought I would take advantage of TMO 4G LTE network. I did some research to see if it was good here in Houston and other places I usually visit like New Orleans, Destin, LA, Chicago.

Using TMO coverage map but also using google to see reports in those areas I'd figure I would be good at making the switch.

With my wife, sister and myself, getting unlimited everything on TMO 4G LTE would only be $150. I am currently paying $160 for my wife and I and we only have 6G Data with Verizon.

Seeing that it will save me big time I was ready for the switch. When I went to the TMO store they were under staff, only 2 people working and was next to be helped. During my 15 minute wait another person came and and when the lady was done helping her current customers she skipped be although she already acknowledge that I was next. Seeing as how she skipped my turn. My wife and I began to walk out of the store and thats when she realized she skipped me and proceeded to say "I'm sorry, I can help you now sir"

I did not get this when I went into Verizon because my wife's phone was having hardware malfunctions. When I went into Verizon there were 7 people working the floor all equipped with tablets putting customers into queue, only 2 workers were occupied so I was helped immediately.

Back to TMO, the lady said she would only give me $15 dollar trade-in value for my HTC 8X, I know I can get over $100 for it on craiglist as it is in mint condition. I use case and screen protector. It was a turn off that my phone would only get a $15 trade in value, did I mention it wasn't even on the list for her to select and I felt like she made up some bogus value. Infuriated, I left and did not trade my phone or make the switch.

I called TMO to get a better estimate of my phone and they said it was for $20. Still not going to make the switch, I was expecting at least $100.

After going home I realize how much I value Verizon's customer service and will not be switching.

TLDR: was going to switch to TMO but the experience was so bad I decided to stay with Verizon.

Gawain

May 18, 2011
Visit site
After hearing about T-Mobile's uncarrier plan I thought I would take advantage of TMO 4G LTE network. I did some research to see if it was good here in Houston and other places I usually visit like New Orleans, Destin, LA, Chicago.

Using TMO coverage map but also using google to see reports in those areas I'd figure I would be good at making the switch.

With my wife, sister and myself, getting unlimited everything on TMO 4G LTE would only be $150. I am currently paying $160 for my wife and I and we only have 6G Data with Verizon.

Seeing that it will save me big time I was ready for the switch. When I went to the TMO store they were under staff, only 2 people working and was next to be helped. During my 15 minute wait another person came and and when the lady was done helping her current customers she skipped be although she already acknowledge that I was next. Seeing as how she skipped my turn. My wife and I began to walk out of the store and thats when she realized she skipped me and proceeded to say "I'm sorry, I can help you now sir"

I did not get this when I went into Verizon because my wife's phone was having hardware malfunctions. When I went into Verizon there were 7 people working the floor all equipped with tablets putting customers into queue, only 2 workers were occupied so I was helped immediately.

Back to TMO, the lady said she would only give me $15 dollar trade-in value for my HTC 8X, I know I can get over $100 for it on craiglist as it is in mint condition. I use case and screen protector. It was a turn off that my phone would only get a $15 trade in value, did I mention it wasn't even on the list for her to select and I felt like she made up some bogus value. Infuriated, I left and did not trade my phone or make the switch.

I called TMO to get a better estimate of my phone and they said it was for $20. Still not going to make the switch, I was expecting at least $100.

After going home I realize how much I value Verizon's customer service and will not be switching.

TLDR: was going to switch to TMO but the experience was so bad I decided to stay with Verizon.

I don't know if the promo is still going on, but if you pick up a couple phones at AT&T using AT&T Next, they'll guarantee a minimum $100 trade-in value on your old phones. 6GB and 2 phones with AT&T next would run you $130/month plus the cost of the phones. A Lumia 920 only retails for $300 now, and the 1520 isn't expensive for the hardware you get either. The more I use the 1520, the more I love it. Anyway, if you were shopping around, it may be worth checking out.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I think you just got a lemon of a T-Mobile store. I've been with T-Mobile now 13 years as of yesterday and never had such a bad experience at one of their stores. I think it's ridiculous that trading in the 8X would only get you $15, but you really should reconsider since you would save a bundle with T-Mobile. I'm on a shared plan with my mother and we each pay only $45 and change per month.

liveforten

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I view the trade in part of the deal to be a necessary evil. Like trading in a car to a dealer, you will never get it's true value. The real savings come from the lower monthly bill which will add up over time.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
problems:
you went to a phone store
you expected nice polite people at the phone company
you expected something to be traded in for full value

20 minutes of work with a web browser and craigslist/tmo and you would have gotten exactly what you wanted.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
problems:
you went to a phone store
you expected nice polite people at the phone company
you expected something to be traded in for full value

20 minutes of work with a web browser and craigslist/tmo and you would have gotten exactly what you wanted.

I didn't expect full value but I did expected at least $100. I can recycle this phone for $50 bucks at component recycle center.

Also, why shouldn't I expect good customer service at a T-Mobile store and if you read into this T-Mobile deal you would know its only available in store so doing it online was not an option.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I think you just got a lemon of a T-Mobile store. I've been with T-Mobile now 13 years as of yesterday and never had such a bad experience at one of their stores. I think it's ridiculous that trading in the 8X would only get you $15, but you really should reconsider since you would save a bundle with T-Mobile. I'm on a shared plan with my mother and we each pay only $45 and change per month.

I perfectly agree with paying less but I do not agree with paying $40 less for bad customer service. Also, on a trip from Houston, Tx to Austin, Tx my sisters phone, who has T-mobile on LTE, navigation lost signal and I had to pull out my Verizon phone with 4 bars. That killed it for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2