is tmobile lying to me?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried to get a data only sim card to put in my phone, but they said it wouldn't work on them, only tablets. And im like.. what? They use the same thing.
I remember getting a tablet along time ago with LTE and the sim card was assigned with a phone # and you could text from it, so why cant I just get a data simcard for my phone?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Is this SIM literally data only? I'm unfamiliar with such SIMs existing since I've only had smartphones but never any tablets, but if so, then they're not lying to you. You can always try the SIM in your phone if you actually got it and see what happens.

bunky1971

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Try setting up a tablet on mytmobile.com and tell them to send you a SIM. If you have an existing TMO account, you can get 200MB/month free...if you need more, add a data pass (buy a prepaid card and apply it)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using WPCentral Forums mobile app

adtst3

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I tried to get a data only sim card to put in my phone, but they said it wouldn't work on them, only tablets. And im like.. what? They use the same thing.
I remember getting a tablet along time ago with LTE and the sim card was assigned with a phone # and you could text from it, so why cant I just get a data simcard for my phone?

T-Mobile rep here. They are not lying to you. They are correct. Data only Sims are partitioned differently and will only work in tablets. I know, its silly.

salpiche

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nokia 925 with a data only SIM and the only thing I can't do is make a phone call, everything else works just fine. If you go to a T-Mobile store and you tell them that you want to add a tablet line to your account you can get a SIM, THEY do NOT need to see the tablet since they can use a generic IMEI to activate the SIM, that's how I got mine. just remember that you will be charge $10.00 for the SIM and if the associate does not give you a hard time, buy a case while you are at it think of it as a tip for the rep for not giving you a hard time just as you would do at a restaurant when you get good service.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes