04-08-2015 09:05 PM
57 123
tools
    Microsoft has a long way to go.
    That's a blanket statement. What's the problem? Is it the OS? Is it the hardware? Marketing? Training?
    03-08-2015 01:01 PM
    That's a blanket statement. What's the problem? Is it the OS? Is it the hardware? Marketing? Training?
    Most phone are sold in a store by 20 something salespeople. Until Microsoft can convince them that Windows phones are a viable contender, they are not going to go far beyond the low end phones in the emerging markets they have been successful in.
    I challenge someone to go into an AT&T, Verizon, or TMobile store and say "I am thinking about a Windows phone, what do you think?"
    How many times will that salesperson direct them to an Android or iPhone instead? :)
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-08-2015 01:30 PM
    Most phone are sold in a store by 20 something salespeople. Until Microsoft can convince them that Windows phones are a viable contender, they are not going to go far beyond the low end phones in the emerging markets they have been successful in.
    I challenge someone to go into an AT&T, Verizon, or TMobile store and say "I am thinking about a Windows phone, what do you think?"
    How many times will that salesperson direct them to an Android or iPhone instead? :)
    You're preaching to the choir. We've discussed carriers' sales forces as being a detriment to WP sales. I've been told by management types that as far back as the Lumia 900, Microsoft made deals with AT&T for all their employess to carry the devices. Just short of a full-blown mutiny, the employees were allowed to carry their own devices again.

Now I don't know how other companies operate, but every time I've had a company-issued phone it's been whatever they choose and you'll be happy with it. If employees want to carry their own phones, that's fine - but they should use the company phone while on company time.
    03-08-2015 04:30 PM
    Just thought I would come in with a sales rep prospective. I sell all phones equally. If a customer is afraid to move from one ecosystem, I'll get them the newest of their phone line. If the customer is complaining about things their phone doesn't do that another phone does, I'll talk about the other phone. Of course, I work for AT&T. So, that it's my job and I do it well. Push windows phones out the door as well. Bonus.
    Guytronic and xandros9 like this.
    03-08-2015 05:29 PM
    Sounds like you dealt with an ignorant, unprofessional *****. Her job as a rep is to provide support, promote, and sell all with a smile. Not knock your device.
    03-08-2015 05:48 PM
    Some just are not informed it seems. And some of that is Microsoft's fault. Was in Verizon again last night, as my GF wanted to pick up a Gear S for her Note 4. Of course the sales reps were jumping for joy as she dropped $250 on another device.

Sales rep asked what I have on my wrist and when I said it was the Microsoft Band, she scoffed and said I am missing out. Missing out on what exactly? Band does everything the Gear S does and doesn't require another cell line to use it.

Another rep came up later and asked what I had on my wrist and seemed genuinely interested in the Band. But kinda surprises me people working at a wireless store had never seen one / knew how it worked.
    Likwidz and jcb871 like this.
    03-13-2015 01:14 PM
    It is a problem with Windows as a whole. It is rapidly losing mind-share.
    04-08-2015 09:05 PM
57 123