Debating between att and vzw

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
So my wife was trying to decide which carrier to switch to. I said att because of the WP support. Problem is, we have vzw. We don't know anyone with att to test service in our rual area. She wants a phone that doesn't run WP, while I may go with a 1520 or wait to see what they announce in march and stick with my 928.
My question is, since it seems both carriers run on bands 2/4..(I'm not sure, just wrote numbers down) will amy phone with both bands work on either? Or will the vzw phone only run off other bands incompatible with att phones? Or is it based off the cdma/gsm?

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I have the 928 on Verizon. If they don't get a 1520 sized hero phone by summer, I'm going over to ATT. They like their red map touting their service, but the people I know with ATT and GSM in general get just as good or better coverage than I don on Verizon.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Totally unofficial VZW employee opinion as follows:

I say wait it out in terms of new phones. Not because I know any super-secret info on upcoming devices (they don't tell us this stuff ahead of time typically), but mainly because of VoLTE. Some devices support it, some don't, and since WP is changing over to Windows 10, it's hard to pin down what's going to be available for WP at this point. I know some of the older phones got denim a couple months ago, which might be preparation to add VoLTE to these devices.

I currently use an Icon with the developer version software. I'm happy with it. It does all I need to do and runs my apps and games flawlessly. Thus the real "issue" with new phones on WP. It's so dang efficient it doesn't need new hardware releases every other month. (Which admittedly looks bad for us fans who want to be seen with the latest and greatest gadget. XD ) Honestly, I'm more annoyed that I can't seem to get my hands on the band without road tripping out of state. :(

I'm not saying there shouldn't be choices, but when I consider that they're probably cautious about WP in terms of market share, I understand the reasoning. The M8 is an excellent phone that isn't too expensive, and is a good deal for many users who are interested in WP. Android *has* to have the fanciest hardware just to keep up, because people don't understand it's technically running a desktop OS, with all the advantages and problems implied by that.

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat.. Have a Note 2 and wanted to upgrade when my contract is up this month on the 22nd but VZ doesn't have any big windows phones! I'm so freakin irritated... I really like my Galaxy but I love the windows phone OS.... Just want a phablet. I guess I can just stick with my note until the new phones roll out, but that's a long wait when I've been waiting this long.. They might win me over with a Note 4 special before then.

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
VZW has better coverage. Period... My neighbor can't use his AT&T phone on our street, he's had many models and now has a Note 4... My Note 2 works everywhere... I went to Vegas last year for a conference... in the conference room I was on the phone and everyone came up to me asking how I was making a call when they had no service on the other carriers including AT&T.. I had 3 bars and showed them. They were all amazed. This was at the MGM grand for the WPPI conference last Feb.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
VZW has better coverage. Period... My neighbor can't use his AT&T phone on our street, he's had many models and now has a Note 4... My Note 2 works everywhere... I went to Vegas last year for a conference... in the conference room I was on the phone and everyone came up to me asking how I was making a call when they had no service on the other carriers including AT&T.. I had 3 bars and showed them. They were all amazed. This was at the MGM grand for the WPPI conference last Feb.

I have the opposite experience. Lol. There are too many factors that come into play for the average individual to meter experience without the proper tools.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is overpriced and overrated. Stay away from them if you can. I switched to att and could not be happier!

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk 2

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat a year or so after I had my Samsung focus with att. We were just interested in the coverage compared to att because I have family that live in the mountains and att can't receive/make our text in those areas. When we moved up there is when went with Verizon because of the better coverage and could actually make calls and text. This is when the 928 first came out, any when it got Black before att I believe. But I've been using WP via Samsung focus, Nokia Lumia 900 and 920 and now Nokia Lumia 928 and Icon.

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Ya.. I've actually been very happy with the coverage from Verizon... I just want more phone choices and to be able to go to a WP which Verizon doesn't seem to give two squats about.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon