Screen Protector Essential??

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey

Is the Zagg screen protector seen as a necessity?

As a UK resident, i had a friend who was over in Atlanta at the weekend pick me up a Band from the store there. I was super chuffed. I messaged him to ask if it came with the Zagg protector, and he reckons nothing else was given to him.

He sets back home today so can't get back to the store.

Odd they didn't give them out there i guess, but it doesn't state on MS's website that they come with a protector.

Are the essential? Have read that they scratch pretty easy, which is a worry. But as a fitness wearable, surely that is something acceptable too?

Have a ordered a skinomi one from amazon uk, but assume that could take a month to get over the Pond to me, and i'll be desperate to wear the Band when it get my hands on it at the weekend!!

Brian Farkas

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I would say yes, by all the reports it scratches very easily in day to day use. When I got mine it came with a Zagg and I put it on immediately. I still didn't feel it was protective enough from seeing the reports and had ordered an armor suit screen and carbon fiber protector, had to wait a few days for it to arrive. It arrived two days ago and I quickly swapped it for the zagg, not only was it incredibly easier to put on and get on without any air bubbles or streaks, but with the carbon fiber backing as well I feel it is completely safe as ell as brings a nice touch of style and texture to the device. I got it in black. I HIGHLY recommend this protector. The also sell just the screen protector if you want.

I can't post links yet unfortunately, but it is available directly from armorsuit, but is significantly cheaper on amazon and ebay, got mine for 10 bucks

lostlogik

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Definitely need protection of some sort. The Zagg as a minimum but if you didn't get one, nip down to your nearest Carphone warehouse and pic up a Zagg for a phone and cut it to size. I did that initially but then got a carbon fibre armorsuit, which was super easy to put on and looks a whole lot better than the Zagg. They post direct from their website.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It depends: it turns out that what you really need is a bezel protector. The bezel scuffs like crazy, and within days will look like an old crappy plastic toy (sorry MS..). But: the screen itself doesn't actually scratch that easily.

To give an idea, I've had the band for a month, and I still don't have any scratches on the display, just on the bezel. IMO it's more a cosmetic thing, for an object that's under your wrist most of the time. I decided I didn't care about the scuffs, but others clearly do.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Definitely need protection of some sort. The Zagg as a minimum but if you didn't get one, nip down to your nearest Carphone warehouse and pic up a Zagg for a phone and cut it to size. I did that initially but then got a carbon fibre armorsuit, which was super easy to put on and looks a whole lot better than the Zagg. They post direct from their website.

You got a picture of it on? How long did it take to ship to the UK?

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
It depends: it turns out that what you really need is a bezel protector. The bezel scuffs like crazy, and within days will look like an old crappy plastic toy (sorry MS..). But: the screen itself doesn't actually scratch that easily.

To give an idea, I've had the band for a month, and I still don't have any scratches on the display, just on the bezel. IMO it's more a cosmetic thing, for an object that's under your wrist most of the time. I decided I didn't care about the scuffs, but others clearly do.

I will be wearing it on the underside of my wrist. Still plan on wearing a watch on the other hand too, as treat my watches as jewellery as much as a timepiece!! Main worry is having it on my right hand for mouse use on my desk. Maybe i should just flip it over when in the office....................

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
That ArmorSuit protector looks good in the pictures....and your right Joe920, the screen doesn't really scratch...just the bezel!

I didn't put the Zagg screen protector on mine and it's looking ok so far...you can only really see the bezel scratches under certain types of lighting. The bezel does scratch though. If that bothers you then get the ArmorSuit otherwise just go naked :)

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I will be wearing it on the underside of my wrist.

Yeah, you'll probably need it. I wear mine on the top and it's avoided scratches so far, but I do see some very fine scratches. You start dragging it around the table using a keyboard, it's going to be a problem.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Cheers chaps! Food for thought. Sure I'll try nannying it the first few days, then not care less!
posted via tapatalk

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for a week now. I wear it either underside the wrist when not active and in the usual watch position when at gym or working on the computer. The thing is that it fits more nicely under the shirt sleeve when worn underside, but as I rest my hands on the laptop and table, it bothers me more than on top of the wrist. I also wear automatic watches which I will not give up. I also tried wearing in the same hand as the watch (further towards the elbow), but it's awkward.

So far no major scratches anywhere, but that may be because at the Microsoft shop they put the protector on. Without it, undoubtedly, the band would look worn out already.

Just a thought for the next iteration: the band team should get expertise from the phone team. They have been carving high quality plastics for Lumia phones since four years or so. That is almost unscratchable, available in tons of colours and could also be relatively easily curved.

Last edited:

lostlogik

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Pays your money and takes your choice :) I like the total wrap protection and the clear no-bubbles screen. Given the price of a new band, plus inconvenience of shipping back to MS if it got damaged, I considered the money well spent.

Paul Stasik

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm quite happy to report that I had a bit of a scare this past weekend when I was moving an antique wooden piece of furniture. A rough edge of wood scratched all along the surface of my Band. I did not have a protector on because its bubbles didn't go away and I hated how it looked.

I was distraught, so I sat for about 20 minutes with a microfiber glasses-cloth just rubbing away at the scratch. Despite being pretty severe, the entire scratch buffed out! There's no sign at all of anything left on the display area. I do have a few scuffs that won't come out along the perimeter of the display, but that type of wear does not bother me at all.

After this incident I am now confident to continue not using a protector. It's so rare for anything like that to even happen-- then knowing it is very simple to buff out scratches puts my mind at ease :)

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
That's good to know Paul!

Can't wait to get my hands on it now, think my friend lands back in the UK today, so hope he manages to get it posted to me today too!!

Lostlogik - see where you're coming from. Some nice full protection on amazon UK from Skinomi - already have the plastic zagg like cover on it's way. May go for the full brushed steel look if it does scuff up easy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon