MS Band Display Turned off

Fixxxer80

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
So got my MS band 2 weeks ago and i love it

however about 30 minutes ago the screen just turned off, i thought maybe a flat battery (even though i didn't get a warning and I was sure it had plenty of charge)

So i plugged it into the charger, and it vibrated etc, but the screen still doesn't turn on, it still syncs with my phone and all the vibrations etc are working, I can even still use Cortana to it to communicate with my phone, however the screen is still off. And it doesn't respond to any touch.

Its only 2 weeks old! anyone got any suggestions, I have a feeling this is going to give me trouble since I actually purchased it in Hawaii 2 weeks ago but I'm now home in Australia.

Anyone had this issue? I guess ill try to contact MS support, but since i cant do that until Tuesday (due to Easter public holidays) I thought id post on here first

KTGiang

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
This same exact problem just happened to me last night. I was using it normally and went to check the time and the screen no longer worked. Went home tired so I threw it on the charger and went to bed. Woke up to the alarm and band vibrating and noticed the screen stayed black. This was 20 minutes ago. Will contact Microsoft later to see whats going on.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never had an issue with the screen. I've had my Band since release date last year. Sounds like you might need to get it replaced.

Keep the forum updated with your guy's situation!

defante

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
This happened to me recently. Luckily I have a MS store close to me so I just went there to have it checked which they didn't try to troubleshoot at all. They just verified that the screen would no longer turn on and they replaced it with a "new" one. It was most likely a returned or refurbished one because it wasn't in a retail box and still paired with the previous owner. Still the new one is working great so far after I reset it.

enzom09

May 8, 2013
Visit site
damn this just happened to me today and i was hoping there was some kind of fix. Maybe i'll wait for it to die and then charge it? :(. also had it since november as well.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me recently. Luckily I have a MS store close to me so I just went there to have it checked which they didn't try to troubleshoot at all. They just verified that the screen would no longer turn on and they replaced it with a "new" one. It was most likely a returned or refurbished one because it wasn't in a retail box and still paired with the previous owner. Still the new one is working great so far after I reset it.

You may be okay with them handing you something as a new device that is not new but that is not legal anywhere in this country. It must be properly identified as refurbished or open box. Somehow I also doubt the average Microsoft store has certified technicians on hand to re-sell and the fact it was still paired to someone else would tend to confirm it. I wouldn't be surprised if the serial number is also already registered.

Personally, I would have no problem being handed open box provided it has been wiped (electronically); sanitized (literally); provided as open box; and it is confirmed the serial number is clear. I would not, however, simply accept a used device they have pulled off a shelf.

enzom09

May 8, 2013
Visit site
So I let mine die (kept making it vibrate till it died by holding action button) and just got home and plugged it in and it turned back on. Just a thought.

defante

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
You may be okay with them handing you something as a new device that is not new but that is not legal anywhere in this country. It must be properly identified as refurbished or open box. Somehow I also doubt the average Microsoft store has certified technicians on hand to re-sell and the fact it was still paired to someone else would tend to confirm it. I wouldn't be surprised if the serial number is also already registered.

Personally, I would have no problem being handed open box provided it has been wiped (electronically); sanitized (literally); provided as open box; and it is confirmed the serial number is clear. I would not, however, simply accept a used device they have pulled off a shelf.

I would say it was refurbished. It was packaged, but not in the retail box so it definitely wasn't open box. Band was clean. Sensors were brand new (none of the bubbling that happens after a while. My old one developed a few). Screen and bezel was pristine as well with no scratches at all. He even let me keep the charging cable so now I have an extra. He also had to scan the box and get the serial number.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
did you try rebooting the Band? Hold down the power button and the action button for 12 seconds. then connect the Band to the computer's USB. then turn the Band back on.

enzom09

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I initially tried the reboot by holding both down but nothing happened. Maybe that's when it shut off for me and wouldn't turn back on and I assumed it died? Regardless I just plugged it in when I got home and it powered on. Hope that works for everyone else.

John Szefcyk

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
This just happened to me today. I got my band when Best Buy started carrying them back in April of this year so I've had mine for a little over three months. I do a modified crossfit twice a week with the band and then walk 3 times a week. I keep my band on pretty much all day and only charge it while in the shower.

Today I went to check the time, hit the power button and the screen went all haywire (got all pixelated and unreadable). Then the screen went black and no matter what I would do, it stayed black. If you take it into a dark room, it looks like the screen is actually on, but just blank (gives a soft glow).

Tried to do a restart by holding both buttons in for 30 seconds and then hooking it up to the charger and the screen just stays black. My phone still shows it connected via Bluetooth and it's still tracking calories burned and steps taken, just obviously cannot use any of the tiles.

I tried changing the color of the background via the app to see if that would help and while it saved, the display did not come back. Just got off a chat session with a Microsoft rep (who had me try the hold both buttons in and plug it into the charger step) and they're going to send me a replacement.

I'll give the replacement a shot and see how far it lasts me. I love this item but I still think it needs a bit more field testing. The rubber on the batteries started peeling after a few months of use and now this. Might pick up a Fitbit Charge HR and give that a go if the replacement fails once the warranty ends.

I wished it would have been something due to my negligence, but it's just been normal "active" use. Don't give up Microsoft, you definitely have a game changer here! Maybe version 2.0 will be better!

RWD

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Mine did the same thing today. Had it since May and wear it daily, sleeping too. Nice device but too fragile. I keep hoping someone else will make a version with more bling...

Since I'm not in the US it's bust luck for me. Good luck with yours.

This just happened to me today. I got my band when Best Buy started carrying them back in April of this year so I've had mine for a little over three months. I do a modified crossfit twice a week with the band and then walk 3 times a week. I keep my band on pretty much all day and only charge it while in the shower.

Today I went to check the time, hit the power button and the screen went all haywire (got all pixelated and unreadable). Then the screen went black and no matter what I would do, it stayed black. If you take it into a dark room, it looks like the screen is actually on, but just blank (gives a soft glow).

Tried to do a restart by holding both buttons in for 30 seconds and then hooking it up to the charger and the screen just stays black. My phone still shows it connected via Bluetooth and it's still tracking calories burned and steps taken, just obviously cannot use any of the tiles.

I tried changing the color of the background via the app to see if that would help and while it saved, the display did not come back. Just got off a chat session with a Microsoft rep (who had me try the hold both buttons in and plug it into the charger step) and they're going to send me a replacement.

I'll give the replacement a shot and see how far it lasts me. I love this item but I still think it needs a bit more field testing. The rubber on the batteries started peeling after a few months of use and now this. Might pick up a Fitbit Charge HR and give that a go if the replacement fails once the warranty ends.

I wished it would have been something due to my negligence, but it's just been normal "active" use. Don't give up Microsoft, you definitely have a game changer here! Maybe version 2.0 will be better!

John Szefcyk

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I've had my replacement for a few months and it's been working great. I've noticed even better Bluetooth connectivity with this unit. The other day though I noticed the bubbling of the rubber battery cover. So it looks like that its still an issue for those, I assume, that seem to sweat a lot (as I don't use lotions on my wrist or spray anything else there). Could be my soap (use Shield deodorant soap), but I think it's just a design issue. I did notice in some of the pictures I've seen of the upcoming MS Band 2.0 that it has a curved look to it and the battery is housed underneath the display instead of on the sides of the actual band. Hopefully that battery housing is a better material than the rubber or whatever they're using now. It's still working great so we'll see how long it lasts (especially after the rubber around the batteries peel off more).

kim125

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
THANK YOU! Your solution worked for me.

I was riding my bike when the display went out. The MS Band appeared to still be working: it was vibrating appropriately and still accumulating miles.. just nothing on the display.

To fix it, I held down both buttons for about 20 seconds then plugged the charge cord into my computer and then the MS Band and it came back to life. I had to plug it into a computer; not just a charger.

Thanks again,
-Kim

thomas cochran

May 9, 2016
Visit site
did you try rebooting the Band? Hold down the power button and the action button for 12 seconds. then connect the Band to the computer's USB. then turn the Band back on.

Plugging into my computer did the trick! Thanks for the info! I was stressing, I bought it off eBay and wouldn't be eligible for a replacement.

GhostKill0

Jun 26, 2016
Visit site
Mine did the same thing... Held down the power and action button for about 20 seconds then made sure it was turned off by checking my phones Bluetooth.. Then rather than using the charger with a outlet I plugged it into my laptop and boom! It came right up... This was just weird lol
It then said welcome back the battery ran out...Which is crazy because It was supposedly at 90 %! I cant explain it at all..Im glad its working again!

John Szefcyk

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I had my MS Band 1.0 replaced after my display went out. Had the replacement for 6 months and this time I had the rubber around the batteries bubble up and then the rubber housing around the heart rate sensor came undone. The heart rate sensor then stopped working. I was wearing this seven days a week and working out with it 5-6 days a week. Now I do sweat a lot but this time when I returned the unit (was still under warranty) MS returned it saying they wouldn't replace it due to misuse. If wearing the Band while working out and sweating while doing so is misuse, they shouldn't market it as a fitness band. I've since switched to a Fitbit Blaze watch/tracker and have been happy. While I do miss some of the Apps from the band (and it was easier to read for my old eyes), I haven't had any issues with The Blaze and the Fitbit app is miles ahead of MS. I do love the band and maybe down the road I will pick another one up, but for now I'm happy with my Blaze.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes