Solutions for peeling and bubbles

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I changed 2 bands because of this problem. This is my 3rd and it also started to bubble on the left side. Do you think we can find a after-market solution? Maybe a thin case for inside that clasps around the battery compartment? Or a sticker that prevents sweat affecting the rubber?

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Solutions for pealing and bubbles

I too am on my 3rd band also, first two within a week had the bubbles on the metal. I cleaned with alcohol religiously every day did not help.On the third one I was out of alcohol so I started using my Lens cleaner and soft cloth. Its going on 3 weeks now and no bubbles. Every morning and night I take the micro cloth wrap it around my finger spry some lens cleaner solution on the cloth [not to much just damp maybe 2 squirts] and rub the metal areas and rubber.and it is working.just don't drench it it's not water proof.

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Solutions for pealing and bubbles

Do you think should I change this one too or if I start using lens cleaner can I stop the bubbles go big and cause holes on the rubber?

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
The alcohol was suppose to damage the rubber cover for the batteries, not the metal. I used the alcohol from Nov till three weeks ago never had a problem with the rubber but than again I used it sparingly.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
1) If you have gone through three in short order, that would tend to suggest there is something in your body chemistry that is reacting with the materials. Fact of life is that really does happen - a different example (in the other direction) are people who react adversely to latex and/or urethane. My nieces also can only where earrings with sterling silver posts due to reactions to stainless steel. On the technology front, in the past some people could not wear particular mechanical watches because they would stop working whenever they wore them. This is a long way around saying you really may want to consider a different product or wait to see if a next generation changes anything.
2) As to the person saying they "religiously used" alcohol, do people even bother to read the disclaimers? Alcohol should not be used for more reasons than the fact it breaks down rubber. It can certainly affect circuitry if there is any intrusion and (likewise) eventually impact sensor conductivity. Just because you have done something with out apparent effect does not mean you are not causing long term damage. The instructions are given for a reason and people should pay attention to them.

bksalt

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Any thing used in excess that causes intrusion definitely will cause problems, a mere spritz on a cloth to help out with bacteria certainly wont bother electronics I'm an electrical engineer and use it all the time on the job and home, I have used alcohol on electrical parts and circuits for over 45yrs with out any sensor conductivity issues.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
The alcohol was suppose to damage the rubber cover for the batteries, not the metal.

OK, I thought you were having problems with the rubber.

I suppose it's possible there's a coating that's getting wiped off with the alcohol, but I'm inclined to think it's body chemistry. You might want to see if there's a protective wrap that still allows it to work. I thought I saw some.

I'd think anything you can do to minimize the sweat and moisture in that area and clean it off promptly after exercise would help. Sweat is salt water. I don't think I have to draw a picture as to what that does to metal.

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd stick to just rinsing with water and gently drying. Not unless the care guide lists something else. The wrong kind of soap could pull something out of the rubber.

I want to cover those rubbers maybe I'll use a 3D printer to print a cover that clasps around batteries...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon