Band 2 leaked?

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Soo much prettier than the current one, and the Fitbit Surge i have.

Be interesting to see how the reviews go, could be a good upgrade from my fitbit.

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
WOW @runningwithband thanks for the tip! Great job!

The engadget page is: Microsoft's next Band looks like something you'd want to wear

And the source for the leak (translated, I hope) is:

https://translate.google.com/transl...es-que-nadie-en-microsoft-insider/&edit-text=

Microsoft-Band-2.1.jpg

Microsoft-Band-2.2.jpg

This is great stuff for us to chew on! A couple initial impressions:

- curved screen, YES! Better ergonomics overall
- metal accents, nice...does that mean a sturdier build?
- no change in buttons...meh
- same display interface...meh (of course it's a demo/leak so who knows)
- peeling rubber issue still a risk?

Another important question is: are those two circles charging terminals on the back of the wristband? For sure that's not the sensor array, which means they've potentially switched the two and moved the sensors to behind the Band. Maybe it means MS wants us to start wearing the Band like a conventional watch, with the display out top/outside of the wrist?

-Matt

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
It looks like the GSR is now a pair of contacts by the latch instead of the "from one side to the other". The bottom still looks really thick. The write-up says the battery is in the display, but I'm thinking it's in the latch side.

The big question for me is if the HR sensor is more accurate. Otherwise, I'm not seeing much motivation to upgrade from the 1.

mkg3

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Really disappointed with lack of design overhaul. Essentially, its the same with a curved display.

Yes, details are bit changed (i.e., battery banks on the strap, clasp and so on), but fundamentally, not much has changed other than getting rid of flat surface display.

Given how much peeling experienced in Gen-1, why keep the rubber? Its new and improved rubber, you say.....

My disappointment with MSB hardware has to do with all the extra sensor data that MS chose not to implement. Unless one is using it for golf (I don't), the uniqueness is lost and its just another chunky wearable commodity. Software needs lot of help too.

Another opportunity lost by MS, if the rumors are true about Band 2 as shown herein....

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Given how much peeling experienced in Gen-1, why keep the rubber?
I belive the peeling was on the battery doors. They're gone.

My disappointment with MSB hardware has to do with all the extra sensor data that MS chose not to implement.
Are you talking about added sensors, or exposing the sensor data they've been collecting? It's possible they didn't expose it because it was too erratic, but in 2 they have something workable.

runningwithband

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Having the bulk off the sides and having the curved display are huge wins for me. The Band has never been uncomfortable for me and I wear it all the time, but making it more conforming is to me a good thing. Granted the battery on the underside of the clasp is simply moving the bulk from the sides to the back, but still...

Plus it appears the sensors under the clasp are a different type of metal so perhaps we wont have the pitting and corrosion problems...

One can hope

gadgetrants

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Plus it appears the sensors under the clasp are a different type of metal so perhaps we wont have the pitting and corrosion problems...
It's just a guess but my hunch is those two silver guys are charging contacts (or wait, does that make sense? it would mean the charging interface is about an inch wide...). From the profile view (the two physical buttons facing outward toward the observer) I'm also guessing that all the sensors have been bundled and moved to behind the display, where that thin black "bezely" thing appears. Of course the bezely thing could be the charging port!

It's a bit frustrating given the angles we have so far, but in about two weeks (*fingers crossed*) we'll have lots and lots of hands-on photos and a better sense of where things are!

-Matt

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes