Typical iVerge

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
These people really have no shame lol.....A review of the microsoft band 2 and the thumbnail of the review is an iphone lmao. Untitled.jpg

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I was more confused by the title and review. Identity crisis? No. It's not. It's a fitness watch.

The only one that is confused is the reviewer.

Yep, it's a fitness band first and a smart watch second. Much like most smart watches are a smart watch first and a fitness band second. This reviewer is a bit of a numpty.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I think some reviews look at new tech from a perspective of existing tech and when a device doesn't fit neatly into a category they are not sure what to think. Is Microsoft Band a fitness device or a smart watch? Is Surface a laptop or a tablet? Instead of using the device and seeing how it is useful or not on its own merits they feel compelled to compare devices to similar products. This approach is fine when comparing two phones but with devices like Microsoft Band or Surface a direct comparison doesn't tell the whole story. The Microsoft Band isn't an Apple Watch and it isn't a Fit Bit. The Surface isn't an iPad or a Mac Book. When Lauren Goode says the Band has an "identity crisis" lets me know as a reader to put her review in perspective.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Read the comments of the review. Everyone just blasted it! It was the worse review I've read in a while.

I thought The Verge review of Surface Pro 4 was even worse because it was surprisingly lazy, especially given Surface is a flagship product. Lots of pertinent information was left out and then general tone was the author had better things to do than write another tech review.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Eh. I've come to expect that from mainstream tech sites. Arstechnica is the one site that I read on all tech reviews. It's insightful and zero agenda.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, it works with the iPhone, I think you're forcing it a bit here.

Yeah but that's not the point lol.

Identity crisis? Like really? These people are dumber than rocks, a bunch of hipsters on Apples payroll. Just look at the Surface Pro 4 review, a 3 minute video that doesn't talk about any features what so ever, check out the dislikes on youtube lol.

Snapperlicious

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Based on the comments on here I expected the video to be worse. It was actually a pretty well done review, and the production quality was high. She even mentioned it having a GPS and the Apple watch not. With that said, I don't agree with the conclusion, and I don't agree with the part about it being uncomfortable. I do wonder if she had the wrong size, because it was quite loose on her wrist. Mine is as comfortable as the FitBit Charge, and more comfortable than any metal banded watch I have worn. I certainly don't find it too uncomfortable to wear to bed.

Hoekie

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
@rld No they don't. Actually pretty much everyone is praising the Band 2. It's the way the story is told that bothers many.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I think the 'iVerge' thing is ridiculous... the problem isn't a bias towards one product, it's a bias towards their own use cases. If they cannot see it fitting an exact need in their lives, they assume the same for everyone. That's fine in general, but what makes it worse on The Verge is that all of their writers tend to be in a bubble of similar needs and use cases.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
it's a bias towards their own use cases.

I don't really look at the Verge on my own, but every time someone links something from them, I see their focus as very narrow. They seem to produce things for their own consumption. In other words, the production focus at the Verge is always "will other Verge staff like what I'm doing" and any other audience is incidental.

I find their style incredibly off putting with its narcissistic and self-absorbed attitude. I can't take it seriously as a source for this reason.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes