Solved: remove thumbnail preview icon

jdfnnl

May 15, 2023
Visit site
I have my windows machine setup to open PDF files with SumatraPDF by default which offers the option of thumbnail previews in File Explorer. Only catch is that this preview is accompanied by an icon of the default pdf application. It would be much cleaner to remove this icon which takes away rather than adding information. Is there another pdf thumbnail tool that would not add this icon, or otherwise a way to disable this shell function in the registry?

Untitled.jpg

jdfnnl

May 15, 2023
Visit site
Well this is the thumbnail when Chrome is the default viewer and I believe the license for this program is free.

2024-01-14 02_35_30-Downloads.png

Otherwise, are you able to refer me to the section of Windows Central forum policy referred to in the previous post forbidding this subject matter?

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Your initial post mentioned one specific app a the default with an image of the result shwoing a "PDF" icon and not Chrome - hinting that the app was the culprit. When I see something like this... it's usually the Freeware app that is the cause as Freeware is always "free" with limitations that help get users to purchase an enhanced version of the app. Many freeware photo and video editing apps place a logo or website address in the end product images/videos that go away if you pay for the non-freeware version. Many people don't like that the freeware app places that logo, but it part of the distribution/usage agreement for using those products - hence why we don't allow discussions of how to disable.

With your clarification - I'll admit that I have NEVER seen this issue and certainly not when a browser like Chrome is the default. If it were my device, I'd uninstall any 3rd party PDF viewer, restart, and check again before chasing other settings. If you want to get some input from designers/coders - you could also check with the XDA forums.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow... That's a new one for me. Looking through my own settings, I apparently never experienced this because I display everything by lists and never see icons.
Thanks for updating the thread - it helps others in case someone else comes across this. So odd that there is a check box to enable that even. Thanks!

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria