Cortana button now works on Android ? Really Microsoft ?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
if you don't wish to have cortana, why not change the region so that you don't get it? You have over 180 countries to choose from where cortana does not work :winktongue:

That seems like a gigantic pain. What if software I want to use isn't available in that region? What if that region gets Cortana support?

stlbud

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Cortana has never worked reliably for me on the Band 2 with the Lumia 950xl. Flagship windows phone won't work with flagship fitness band bout does work with Android... Not ok.
As I see it, the fat lady sang, long ago. Nadella has stated Windows Mobile is not dead but I can't help but think that is strictly for those investors who think Microsoft should have an integrated mobile platform. I'm going to say it here - SATYA NADELLA IS NOT CONCERNED WITH THE DESIRES OF END USERS, LOYAL OR OTHERWISE! I firmly believe it. He wants to sell services to big corporations and grudgingly lets us play along.

VHMP01

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Did you had to be an alarmist, really? Here you go: MS is a software and services Company, and is tryng to go Universal, means to all plataforms! The more users you offer your services to, the more likely YoY sales drops like iPhones, iPads, and Macs won't affect you Company so much! Business as usual! Thanks.

Jose_Vasquez

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I have Facebook, WhatsApp, edge, outlook, word, excel, ppt, and all other sites (amazon, banks, eBay) has mobile site.. great camera, not so great music app (but work).. that's all I need. If you need some extras and its on android - IOS only, go to that platforms.

Kim Johnsen

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Is locking users to one specific platform really a good thing? I am glad that Microsoft has decided to take a different approach than Apple and Google. Its so frustrating when you find some good hardware and then it turns out it wont work well (if at all) unless you use Android or iOS. In some cases the hardware does not even support Android. Sometimes only iOS.

The way I see it; Microsoft is showing the way. Lets hope others follow. It should be all about services, not devices and platforms.

KelvBlue

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Next time, when your boss ask you to wash the toilet because the cleaner is sick I think you would gladly do it? People are employed for a specific job, they work under one company but there are teams that deal with different area, in this case different platform.

It is no suprise that Android or iOS teams can develope the apps faster because the platforms are pretty much stabilized for quite a long time already, and you are comparing them to W10M that still developing in different branches and will keep breaking the apps with each iteration.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Next time, when your boss ask you to wash the toilet because the cleaner is sick I think you would gladly do it? People are employed for a specific job, they work under one company but there are teams that deal with different area, in this case different platform.

Sorry KelvBlue, I don't understand your point. As the owner of a company, before I would let a customer use a dirty toilet that I was responsible for, I would clean it myself (never gladly, but it would have to be done).

Just because a company is on High today, doesn't mean they will be there tomorrow, and there is a very good chance they won't (just look at history). To stay on top (impossible in most every case), or, BE on top; you must plan, plan, plan..be at the right spot at the right time...and, have a great degree of luck..not to mention a lot of hard, hard work. I don't believe we **** ants are privy (pun intended) to the overall plan of any company is at this point.

I am not an advisory of sharing...I think we would ALL benefit.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Guess one thing is this: would you as MS rather have cortana on less than 100 million devices that are strictly windows (pcs, mobile, xbox etc) or would you rather have cortana available for over 500 million devices that are spread across windows, ios and android? The more people using cortana, the more data collected, the faster the rate of development, the greater the uptake in usage. And the more searches with bing done hence better revenue through search

And if someone likes a service on ios/android so much, they might be tempted to try it out in a native (windows) environment - can this be considered a possible scenario?

This is interesting too: Microsoft encouraging Android-to-Windows 10 app ports via Cortana notifications | Windows Central

spinedoc

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly enough the one feature they keep as exclusive is the one which makes lease sense as an exclusive. The Edge browser. It infuriates me to no end that I can't sync favorites from my SP4 to my android phone, and have to use crap like Chrome. Edge loses more and more ground to other browsers, you would think they would want Edge on more devices so they can push Bing and their other services, as well as keeping MS users happy.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Interestingly enough the one feature they keep as exclusive is the one which makes lease sense as an exclusive. The Edge browser. It infuriates me to no end that I can't sync favorites from my SP4 to my android phone, and have to use crap like Chrome. Edge loses more and more ground to other browsers, you would think they would want Edge on more devices so they can push Bing and their other services, as well as keeping MS users happy.

I don't think edge is losing ground as you've said. It has been either the same or slightly increasing since January this year

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes