Is battery failure related to band orientation (screen out vs. in)

David Goldwasser

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
For those whose batteries have failed, have you worn the band screen in or screen out? Since there are some many people with repeated failures and others who never have a problem, I thought there may be an unidentified usage pattern causing the issue, vs. bad luck on getting repeated defective products to specific users. One I idea I have is that wearing the screen out has caused more abuse to the clasp. I work all day at computer with band on, and with my wrist resting on my desk. The clasp has a bit of play and gets messed with a bit all day, even though it is pretty gentle, it is very repetitive.

Another idea was that daily biking and mountain biking may cause issues, but I don't think that is as likely.

I'll be interested to see if response leans very heavily towards people who the screen out and clasp in; although not very scientific survey. I'm also wearing my 5th band screen in. I had warn screen out for comfort and to protect the screen.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I wear screen in and clasp out. My original Band 2 purchase lasted about 4 months before I experienced any issue with the message that the battery died when, in fact, it had plenty of charge left. I thought everything was okay after a factory reset, but the same thing happened about a month later. After a total of about 7 months, I finally had to get a warranty replacement because the Band wouldn't stay powered on at all when not connected to a charger.

I think the primary cause of stress on the internal wire connections for me is that I once let my 5 year old niece take the Band off my wrist and wear it during a family lunch. I didn't think about it being an issue at the time, but I think she might have caused excessive strain on the internal wires by flexing the wrist strap in the opposite direction of how its designed to wrap around the wrist.

DroidUser42

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I'd think it would be more about how you stress the wires in the band. That would be a function of how tightly you wear it, or how you flex it when putting it on/taking it off.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
When I do wear it, which is to work and then off, until I go to the gym, is with the screen facing inwards. Once at the gym I change to the screen facing out. I do not have an issue with my band 2 and it's the first one I've owned.

When running it's tight as to not move but, once I switch to weights, it's set quite loose as my muscles and blood flow increase. I'd expect a LOT of people NOT to do that and to have also ordered the wrong size. People are people and they LOVE to complain.

All in all I'm very happy but I'm 100% aware that this device has to be treated with as much care as you consider acceptable. It's not indestructible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgiHudi